Minimum Perimeter of a Trapezoid: Find R & P

In summary, the formula for finding the minimum perimeter of a trapezoid is P = 2(R + s) where P is the perimeter, R is the height, and s is the length of one of the parallel sides. To find the value of R, the Pythagorean theorem can be used. Any units can be used for the measurements, as long as they are consistent. The length of one of the parallel sides can be found by rearranging the formula. There are two special cases to consider: if the trapezoid is a rectangle or a parallelogram.
Albert1
a trapezoid $ABCD,$ with $\overline {AD}// \overline {BC}, \overline {AB}=\overline {CD}$, and diagonal $\overline {AC}=15=\overline {BD}$
if R is its maximum area ,please find :
(1)R
(2)find its minimum perimeter P

Mathematics news on Phys.org
\(\displaystyle (1)\quad R=\dfrac{225}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle (2)\quad P=30\sqrt2\)

greg1313 said:
\(\displaystyle (1)\quad R=\dfrac{225}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle (2)\quad P=30\sqrt2\)
your answers are correct ,please show your solution

I calculated the area and perimeter of a square with diagonals of 15 units.

First, I give a more definitive proof for the maximum area. Next, I show that the answer for minimum perimeter is wrong.
For any convex quadrilateral, the area is 1/2 the magnitude of the cross product of the diagonals. In this case $${225\over 2}|\sin(\theta)|$$
Here $\theta$ is the angle between the diagonals. This is obviously maximized when $\theta=\pi/2$. Note there are many different isosceles trapezoids with equal diagonals of 15 that attain this maximum area.

Next, consider the rectangle with vertices $A=(x_0,y_0)=(7.5\cos(\theta),7.5\sin(\theta))$, $B=(x_0,-y_0)$, $C=(-x_0,-y_0)$ and $D=(-x_0,y_0)$. The perimeter is then $p=30\cos(\theta)+4\sin(\theta)$. Thus $p$ can be arbitrarily close to 30 by choosing $\theta$ to be sufficiently close to 0. I believe, but can not prove, that any isosceles trapezoid with diagonals of 15 has perimeter at least 30, but no such trapezoid attains the minimum of 30.
Edit:
I feel a little foolish. This was definitely a case of the forest hiding the trees. In triangle $ABD$, $|AB|+|DA|>|BD|=15$. Similarly for the other two sides of the trapezoid. So the perimeter is strictly greater than 30.

Last edited:
Albert said:
a trapezoid $ABCD,$ with $\overline {AD}// \overline {BC}, \overline {AB}=\overline {CD}$, and diagonal $\overline {AC}=15=\overline {BD}$
if R is its maximum area ,please find :
(1)R
(2)find its minimum perimeter P
my solution :

Attachments

• minimum of Perimeter.jpg
    minimum of Perimeter.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for finding the minimum perimeter of a trapezoid?

The formula for finding the minimum perimeter of a trapezoid is P = 2(R + s), where P is the perimeter, R is the height, and s is the length of one of the parallel sides.

2. How do I find the value of R in the formula for minimum perimeter of a trapezoid?

To find the value of R, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (R) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides of the triangle. In this case, the other two sides are the perpendicular height of the trapezoid and half the difference between the lengths of the parallel sides. The formula is R = √(h^2 - ((b-a)/2)^2), where h is the perpendicular height and a and b are the lengths of the parallel sides.

3. Can I use any units for the measurements in the formula for minimum perimeter of a trapezoid?

Yes, you can use any units for the measurements as long as they are consistent. For example, if the length of one of the parallel sides is in meters, then the height and the value of R should also be in meters.

4. How do I find the length of one of the parallel sides (s) in the formula for minimum perimeter of a trapezoid?

The length of one of the parallel sides (s) can be found by rearranging the formula to s = (P/2) - R. So, you can substitute the values of P and R into the formula to find the length of s.

5. Are there any special cases when using the formula for minimum perimeter of a trapezoid?

Yes, there are two special cases to consider. If the trapezoid is actually a rectangle, then the formula will give you the minimum perimeter for a rectangle with the given dimensions. Also, if the length of one of the parallel sides is equal to the other, then the trapezoid becomes a parallelogram and the formula will give you the minimum perimeter for a parallelogram with the given dimensions.