Minimum Speed for Stunt Car Jump over Parked Cars

• Thread starter ciubba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the stunt driver needs to have a minimum speed of 40m/s to jump over 8 cars parked side by side below a horizontal ramp with a vertical height of 1.5 m and a horizontal distance of 22 m. When the ramp is tilted upwards at an angle of 7.0° above the horizontal, the new minimum speed is 24m/s.
ciubba

Homework Statement

A stunt driver wants to make his car jump over 8 cars parked side by side below a horizontal ramp (Fig. 3–41). (a) With what minimum speed must he drive off the horizontal ramp? The vertical height of the ramp is 1.5 m above the cars and the horizontal distance he must clear is 22 m. (b) If the ramp is now tilted upward, so that “takeoff angle” is 7.0° above the horizontal, what is the new minimum speed?

Homework Equations

[tex]y=y_0+v_0t+.5at^2[/tex]
[tex]v^2=v_0^2+2a(y-y_0)[/tex]
[tex]x=v_0t[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to part a is obviously 40m/s, but the answer to b eludes me.

I need v, so I defined v_x in terms of v via the kinematic equation [tex]x=v_0t[/tex]

and then solved it for t

[tex]22=tcos\theta[/tex]

[tex]t=\frac{22}{vcos\theta}[/tex]

However, when I attempt to do this with v_y, I end up with a nasty quadratic

[tex]-4.9t^2+tvsin\theta+1.5=0[/tex]

and solving this for t does not seem to be advisable.

Physics news on Phys.org
ciubba said:

Homework Statement

A stunt driver wants to make his car jump over 8 cars parked side by side below a horizontal ramp (Fig. 3–41). (a) With what minimum speed must he drive off the horizontal ramp? The vertical height of the ramp is 1.5 m above the cars and the horizontal distance he must clear is 22 m. (b) If the ramp is now tilted upward, so that “takeoff angle” is 7.0° above the horizontal, what is the new minimum speed?

Homework Equations

[tex]y=y_0+v_0t+.5at^2[/tex]
[tex]v^2=v_0^2+2a(y-y_0)[/tex]
[tex]x=v_0t[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to part a is obviously 40m/s, but the answer to b eludes me.

I need v, so I defined v_x in terms of v via the kinematic equation [tex]x=v_0t[/tex] and then solved it for t
[tex]22=t\cos\theta[/tex]
[tex]t=\frac{22}{v\cos\theta}[/tex]
However, when I attempt to do this with v_y, I end up with a nasty quadratic
[tex]-4.9t^2+tv\sin\theta+1.5=0[/tex]
and solving this for t does not seem to be advisable.
Hello, ciubba. Welcome to PF !

Why do you consider that quadratic equation to be nasty ?

You know that θ = 7° . Right ?

You should probably solve the other equation for t, in terms of v, then substitute that back into the quadratic, so there's only one variable.

SammyS said:
You should probably solve the other equation for t, in terms of v, then substitute that back into the quadratic, so there's only one variable.

I can't believe that never occurred to me-- I was going to solve them both for t, then set them equal to each other.

The answer is 23.88, which rounds to 24m/s with significant digits. Thanks!

Likes hitemup

1. What is Two-dimensional Kinematics?

Two-dimensional Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in two dimensions, specifically in the x and y directions. It involves the study of position, velocity, and acceleration of objects moving in a plane.

2. How is Two-dimensional Kinematics different from One-dimensional Kinematics?

One-dimensional Kinematics only deals with motion in a straight line, while Two-dimensional Kinematics takes into account motion in both the x and y directions. This means that objects can have both horizontal and vertical components of motion.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in Two-dimensional Kinematics?

Velocity in Two-dimensional Kinematics is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position in both the x and y directions. Acceleration, on the other hand, is also a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's velocity in both the x and y directions.

4. How do you calculate the displacement of an object in Two-dimensional Kinematics?

The displacement of an object in Two-dimensional Kinematics can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. The displacement is the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the x and y components of the object's motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of Two-dimensional Kinematics?

Two-dimensional Kinematics has many real-life applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, analyzing the motion of planets and satellites in space, and understanding the motion of objects in sports like golf and baseball. It is also used in engineering and robotics for designing and controlling the motion of machines and vehicles.