What Does Number of Diameters Mean in Pipe Flow Analysis?

In summary: The two pipes in #4 have the same ##{L\over D} = 10## so they will show the same pressure drop for a given fluid with widely different volume flows (factor 100) but the same flow velocity.
foo9008

Homework Statement

what is the meaning of number of diameter N ? why the author make L = ND ? and then divide it by D ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23.3 KB · Views: 3,342
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a practical way to do it: you get an equivalent length for fittings, elbows etc. that you can add to the sum of lengths of straight sections and use in friction factor formulas (e.g. Darcy).

Head loss is a function of ##L\over D## .

Didactically the sheet you show is indeed rather ready for improvement. I find it confusing.

Likes foo9008
BvU said:
This is a practical way to do it: you get an equivalent length for fittings, elbows etc. that you can add to the sum of lengths of straight sections and use in friction factor formulas (e.g. Darcy).

Head loss is a function of ##L\over D## .

Didactically the sheet you show is indeed rather ready for improvement. I find it confusing.
can you explain about what is ND / D ? i am confused

ND is L so ND / D is L/D. That is the factor that appears in the friction factor equations such as Darcy and Fanning (*). The approach exploits the observed similarity in flow properties between a flow in a pipe of 100 m and 1 m diameter and a flow in a pipe of 10 m with a diameter of 10 cm.

(*)
And I would almost wish one of the two never existed :smile:. Now you have to be really careful if you divide 16 or 64 by Re for laminar flow...

BvU said:
ND is L so ND / D is L/D. That is the factor that appears in the friction factor equations such as Darcy and Fanning (*). The approach exploits the observed similarity in flow properties between a flow in a pipe of 100 m and 1 m diameter and a flow in a pipe of 10 m with a diameter of 10 cm.

(*)
And I would almost wish one of the two never existed :smile:. Now you have to be really careful if you divide 16 or 64 by Re for laminar flow...
why L = ND ? i don't understand it

Length of the pipe expressed in number of diameters. Nicely dimensionless. What can I say ?

BvU said:
Length of the pipe expressed in number of diameters. Nicely dimensionless. What can I say ?
what does it mean by number of diameter ?

The two pipes in #4 have the same ##{L\over D} = 10## so they will show the same pressure drop for a given fluid with widely different volume flows (factor 100) but the same flow velocity.

Likes foo9008
BvU said:
The two pipes in #4 have the same ##{L\over D} = 10## so they will show the same pressure drop for a given fluid with widely different volume flows (factor 100) but the same flow velocity.
ys , they have L/ D of factor 100 ,why they will have the same pressure drop ?

Allright, L/D = 100 o:) .
foo9008 said:
why they will have the same pressure drop
That's what has been observed to be the case :smile: .
'Apparently' ##\Delta p## is a function of L/D, something that probably also comes out of similarity considerations.

Something with ##{\rm Re} = {\rho v D\over \mu}##

BvU said:
Allright, L/D = 100 o:) .
That's what has been observed to be the case :smile: .
'Apparently' ##\Delta p## is a function of L/D, something that probably also comes out of similarity considerations.

Something with ##{\rm Re} = {\rho v D\over \mu}##
ok , how does the case that you mentioned relate yo number of diameter ?

1) What is minor loss in pipes?

Minor loss in pipes refers to the energy loss that occurs in a fluid flowing through a pipe due to factors such as bends, fittings, and valves. These losses are typically small compared to major losses, which occur due to friction between the fluid and the pipe walls.

2) How is minor loss calculated?

The minor loss in a pipe can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the pipe geometry and the fluid properties. The equation incorporates a term for minor losses, which includes contributions from bends, fittings, and other components in the pipe system.

3) What is the significance of minor loss in pipe systems?

Minor losses can have a significant impact on the overall efficiency of a pipe system. They can contribute to pressure drops, which can affect the flow rate and the energy required to pump the fluid through the system. Therefore, it is important to consider and minimize minor losses in pipe design.

4) How can minor losses be reduced?

Minor losses can be reduced by using smooth bends and fittings, minimizing the number of components in the pipe system, and selecting components with low loss coefficients. Additionally, proper pipe sizing and maintaining a smooth internal surface of the pipe can also help reduce minor losses.

5) Are there any limitations to the minor loss formula?

The minor loss formula is based on certain assumptions, such as the fluid being incompressible and the flow being steady and fully developed. Therefore, it may not accurately predict minor losses in all situations. Additionally, the loss coefficients used in the formula may vary depending on the specific pipe system and components being used.