Can Near-Death Experiences Inspire a Fear of Rejoining Society?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, Danger has returned from the dead and is feeling a little bit better after going through a traumatic experience. She wants to be cautious and only be around people who are healthy, so she is taking it easy for a while. Danger is still alive and plans to stay that way.
Danger
Gold Member
Hi, folks;
I seem to have undergone the events of the past couple of weeks in the reverse of the order that one would expect.
First, I was kind of dead, but not quite, and temporarily. Part of that involved me extubating myself, which pissed off the trauma crew, so they knocked me out and kept me unconscious on life support for the next 4 days. They then either chose to trust me or got tired of my snoring, because the next 5 days were conscious on life support.
From there, I went to Pulmonary Care Unit IC, on oxygen and still not able to walk or eat. I don't like to have anyone, no matter how gorgeous, changing my diaper, so I started walking really quickly. Within 2 days, they took me off of the oxygen, including during walks. The nurses started finding trays that nobody wanted, to get me something like a meal. (One egg and one piece of toast are approximately 1/4 of a real breakfast, and about 1/8 of a lunch or supper.)
Anyhow, my recovery skills seem to be okay, because they punted me home today. Did some shopping on the way, so I shouldn't have to leave the house for at least a couple of weeks. One thing worries me; I was told that if I catch anything like that same kind of bug again, I will not survive regardless of medical attempts. This is making me somewhat trepidatious about rejoining society. Is it worth being with friends if doing so can kill you? I rather think "yes" to that, but it's best to strike a balance.
Anyhow, I'm still alive for now and intend to stay that way. I might lie low for days at a time, but I will be monitoring and occasionally posting.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow sorry to hear that you're having these problems...

Maybe take it easy for a week or two, you can always talk to family and friends by facebook and stuff - stuff that won't transmit contagion to you.

Wo0t, way to come back from the{almost} dead! So many reasons we are so proud of you. Very happy to hear your feeling better, and yes tough call on being in public. I would agree with "yes", but make sure people around you are not ill. {hugs} Hope your 100% soon.

Danger said:
Hi, folks...Is it worth being with friends if doing so can kill you? I rather think "yes" to that, but it's best to strike a balance.
Anyhow, I'm still alive for now and intend to stay that way. I might lie low for a days at a time, but I will be monitoring and occasionally posting.

Well, at least we're pretty germ free here Danger. :redface:

Very glad to have to you around chum. And I've got a feeling things are going to improve from here on out.

Anyone that can die--and live to tell about it--is definitely a "hardy" soul, that is built to last! So don't make any plans to run out on us! :approve:

pergradus said:
Wow sorry to hear that you're having these problems...

Maybe take it easy for a week or two, you can always talk to family and friends by facebook and stuff - stuff that won't transmit contagion to you.

Well, you wouldn't catch me dead on Face-Book (pardon the reference) but 3-4 years can't actually be as traumatic as she ... (I'm cooked...).

Glad to have you back.

So glad to see you back, we were really concerned!

Welcome back, Danger! Good to see you.

FrancisZ said:
And I've got a feeling things are going to improve from here on out.

My thoughts exactly. Good to see you back Danger, and take care.

I'm glad you are back, danger! :smile:

So now that you are not allow to catch any bugs, I suppose they will be running amouk! :rolleyes:

If the word didn't get out they will still be leary of you and not suspect the new ruling.
Welcome back. :!)
xoxo

Glad to see you kicking, Danger!

Be good and stay healthy. (Live long and prosper.)

Yay! Glad to see you're on this side of the daisies, Danger. Let's keep it that way for a while :smile:!

Glad to see you are still with us. Will it be rude to ask what exactly happened?
Were there any complications? Were you anywhere exotic? Do you have special sensitivity (Ahm.. age etc...) What is the disease called? We are scientists after all...

If this is offensive in anyway I may not be aware of I apologize I come from a rude country :shy:

welcome back Danger *germ-free pc hugs* I'm really sorry to hear about your ordeal :( I can't think of anything you like...so I figure we can go smash some protons in honor of your return :D
[PLAIN]http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/lhc-cms.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good grief! All right, you are NOT allowed to do that again! Perhaps it's time to follow the Japanese and wear a face mask in public. Of course someone will think you're a terrorist, call the cops, and you'll be shot, but at least you won't catch anymore bugs.

Evo said:
Good grief! All right, you are NOT allowed to do that again! Perhaps it's time to follow the Japanese and wear a face mask in public. Of course someone will think you're a terrorist, call the cops, and you'll be shot, but at least you won't catch anymore bugs.
Slugs, not bugs. :cry:

Evo said:

That is funny Evo, Danger, I don't know you, but can see from this thread and the thousands of other threads you have contributed over the years, that you have found a home and good friends here, a good thing, IMHO. I wish you the best, given your difficult situation, Nice to see you have kept a sense of humor about you as well.
The nurses started finding trays that nobody wanted, to get me something like a meal.

Rhody... :approve:

I knew I should have phoned you when lacy started getting antsy! I blew her off because last time you went silent it was a false alarm.

You trickster. Keepin' us on our toes.

Welcome back Dan! :smile:

Glad to hear you're okay, Danger!

Thank you, everyone. HeLiXe, I'm not a particle physicist (I'm not a scientist of any kind :redface:), but I love reading about it and that is a beautiful picture.

raam86 said:
Glad to see you are still with us. Will it be rude to ask what exactly happened?

It is not the least bit rude. There are some people here and there who will deliberately ask leading or scandalous questions just to piss someone off. That never happens on PF, unless as part of a joke. Anyone who asks something here is interested in an answer. For that reason, anyone can ask me anything at any time. I might choose to not answer, but the question will never offend me.
In this case, explanation is required. Most of my long-time friends here know that I have terminal emphysema. More recent members don't. Anyhow, my niece lives down the street (my ex- commonlaw wife's niece, but still my friend and neighbour). She gets sick frequently, because she has Lupus. Three weeks ago, she had pneumonia. She stayed home, but her boyfriend came to visit me. I became very ill after he left, down to puking my guts out and still freezing with 2 sweaters, a blanket, and the thermostat set at 39°. I felt a bit better the next day, but came up hugely out of breath in the bathroom. This has happened before, and my "rescue inhaler" didn't work. Every time before, I have talked myself out of calling 911, and it worked out okay. This time, I was too scared to back out. That's a good thing, because it turned out that I had zero oxygen intake.

DaveC426913 said:
I knew I should have phoned you when lacy started getting antsy! I blew her off because last time you went silent it was a false alarm.

You trickster. Keepin' us on our toes.

Yeah BUD! Like when YOUR fish was in trouble I dropped everything and ran for help. But it''s ok after all.
Evo, I was going to suggest wearing a mask when going out or having guests too.

Be back later, need to go freak out for a minute.

Oh, and that was a beautiful picture of the sun or what ever that was HeLiXe.

Youch! Glad you are back.

When I look at Danger's avatar, then read the title of this thread, I think: furry. Lots and lots of fur.

Whew, glad you're okay Dan. Yes, yanking out your own ET tube will not endear you to your medical crew... :-p

Good to have you back. :smile:

Danger is out of danger.

lisab said:
When I look at Danger's avatar, then read the title of this thread, I think: furry. Lots and lots of fur.

And then I think .. Lot, and lots of wax!

Lacy33 said:
And then I think .. Lot, and lots of wax!

Owwwww...! :eek:
That is just cruel and frightening. (And to think that I used to love you only for your body. :-p)

Everyone has been looking for you buster! :smile: Glad to see you are well. Note: I've been de-avatared since last we met (I'm being cheap I guess).

Danger said:
Owwwww...! :eek:
That is just cruel and frightening. (And to think that I used to love you only for your body. :-p)

And IF you loved me for my body, you are already well into cruel and frightening!

Lacy33 said:
And IF you loved me for my body, you are already well into cruel and frightening!

Hey, a little masochism never hurt anyon... uh... er... hang on a sec... :confused:

Happy to see you again. :approve:

I think we need to put GPS ankle-bracelets on Danger and Woolie.

Evo said:
Happy to see you again.
Likewise, Evo. I love you, and it's very comforting to know that you have my 6. I apologize to everyone for not being more communicative, but that's just my way. :rolleyes: