Mirrored Optics Phenomenon Explained While Swimming

In summary, the conversation discusses a phenomenon where the glass surface of a watch acts like a plane mirror underwater, making the contents behind it invisible at certain angles. The explanation for this is total internal reflection, which occurs when light travels from a material with a higher refractive index to one with a lower refractive index. The TIR in this case occurs between the back of the glass and the air inside the watch face. The difference in refractive indices between glass and water is not significant enough to cause a noticeable effect.
annatar
I observed this 'phenomenon' while I was swimming...
Here is the situation:

When I look at my watch (which is submerged), its glass surface acts like a plane mirror at certain angles (e.g. when I rotate my wrist/arm), causing the contents behind the glass become invisible.

Somehow all light coming (it seems) from that angle(s) are all those that are reflected off the surface!
How can this be explained? :confused:

Science news on Phys.org
The TIR probably occurs on the glass-air interface on the back of the watch glass.
Glass is around 1.5-1.8 and water is 1.33 so you wouldn't get very much of an effect anyway.

ps. It was a bit lazy just to post the wiki link, but the OP can come back with more questions if they didn't understand.

oh, so you're saying the light emanating from the watch dial is totally internally reflected *within the watch* and never makes it out. Result...can't see the watch dial?

If there is TIR (would depend on the angle) it will be between the back of the glass and the air inside the watch face.
There will be a tiny bit of reflection glass-water on the way back out but small enough you wouldn't notice - water is close to being an ideal AR coating for glass.

Related to Mirrored Optics Phenomenon Explained While Swimming

What is the Mirrored Optics Phenomenon?

The Mirrored Optics Phenomenon is a visual effect that occurs while swimming, where the swimmer's face appears to be distorted or elongated due to the refraction of light through the water.

Why does this phenomenon occur while swimming?

This phenomenon occurs due to the difference in the refractive index of air and water. Light travels at different speeds through each medium, causing the light rays to bend when they pass from air to water or vice versa. This bending of light is what causes the distortion of the swimmer's face.

Is the Mirrored Optics Phenomenon harmful to the swimmer's eyes?

No, this phenomenon is not harmful to the swimmer's eyes. It is simply a visual effect caused by the refraction of light and does not have any long-term effects on the eyes.

Can this phenomenon be prevented?

While this phenomenon cannot be prevented, it can be minimized by wearing goggles while swimming. Goggles create a barrier between the eyes and the water, reducing the amount of light refraction and therefore reducing the distortion of vision.

Are there any other factors that can contribute to the Mirrored Optics Phenomenon?

Yes, other factors such as the angle at which the swimmer's head is positioned in the water and the type of light (natural or artificial) can also affect the intensity of the Mirrored Optics Phenomenon.