Mismatch&power leakage with port of mixersattenuators solution

• Thread starter Fovakis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Leakage
In summary, the conversation is about someone having trouble with power leakage from the LO port to the IF and RF ports on their RF Transmitter. They have tried using an oscilloscope to check the input IF, but only see a sine wave with a lot of phase noise and amplitude variations. They have heard about using attenuators to solve the problem, but are unsure of how they will help and are also having trouble with their circuit symbols. They are building the transmitter for certain bands and would like help with the attenuators.
Fovakis
Hi ! I am making an RF Transmitter and i have a problem with power leakage for LO port to IF port and RF port. I don't know what to do and i am little confused about how can i fix this.

Source(-10 or -20dBm) 10KHz --------->MIxer conv.loss=8db--------->RF port

and

L.O=70MHz and 7dbm

I put an oscilloscope to mixers input IF and i don't see a sin wave from my Source. I is a sine wave with a lot of phase noice and amplitude variations..when i decrease the L.O power the sine becomes better.:eek:

I have heard about attenuators but i cannot understand how they will solve the problem. They attenuate maybe the standing waves that maybe create ?Also and my signal right?
I don't understand...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you post a schematic and some photos? What bands are you building this transmitter for?

P5181092_zps5ee33fa8.jpg
"]
P5181092_zps5ee33fa8.jpg
[/URL]of course...here...i have some problem with the crystal filter there..but basically this is my transmitter...i think i will need attenuators sure before the mixers...

just a little note on circuit symbols...

are they supposed to be band pass filters ??

if so you need to learn to draw them correctly, the centre sine wave shouldn't have a strike through it ;)
as you have shown them they let nothing through low mid or hi

Dave

Related to Mismatch&power leakage with port of mixersattenuators solution

1. What is mismatch and power leakage in mixers and attenuators?

Mismatch refers to the difference in impedance between two connected components, which can lead to signal reflections and loss of power. Power leakage occurs when some of the input signal leaks out of the circuit instead of being properly combined or attenuated.

2. How do mismatch and power leakage affect the performance of mixers and attenuators?

Mismatch and power leakage can cause degradation in signal quality, resulting in lower output power and increased noise. This can also lead to lower efficiency and non-linearity, affecting the overall performance of the circuit.

3. What are some common solutions for mismatch and power leakage in mixers and attenuators?

One solution is to use impedance matching techniques, such as using matching networks or transformers, to reduce mismatch. For power leakage, techniques such as using isolation resistors or directional couplers can be used to redirect the leaked power back into the circuit.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using these solutions?

While these solutions can improve performance, they can also add complexity and cost to the circuit design. Additionally, they may not completely eliminate mismatch and power leakage, and further optimization may be required.

5. How can I determine the extent of mismatch and power leakage in my circuit?

There are various tools and techniques, such as using network analyzers or simulation software, that can help measure and analyze mismatch and power leakage in a mixer or attenuator circuit. It is important to carefully consider the specifications and limitations of these tools to accurately assess the performance of the circuit.