Missing a step in the proof of the BAC-CAB rule

• Thread starter JulienB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: The two signs on the right side of each line are opposite! Which means that it is not the development of ##\vec A\times(\vec B \times \vec C) ##. However, I do not understand what is wrong in my development. Can somebody help me?In summary, the conversation is about proving the formula a x (b x c) = b (a.c) - c(a.b) using only basic vector operations. The attempt at a solution involves expanding both sides of the equation and manipulating the terms to show that they are equivalent. However, there is an error in the development and further clarification is needed.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Show that a x (b x c) = b (a.c) - c(a.b).

Homework Equations

Only using basic vector operations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm pretty close to the solution:

b x c involves that both b and c are orthogonal to (b x c), and d = a x (b x c) involves that d is orthogonal to (b x c). Therefore, d lies on the same plane as b and c, which means d can expressed in the form:
d = xb - yc.
If I multiply both sides of the equation by a, I get a.d = x(a.b) - y(a.c)
d = a x (b x c) involves that d is perpendicular to a, therefore a.d = 0, which leads to the equation:
x(a.b) - y(a.c) = 0
x(a.b) = y(a.c)
x = ∂a.c and y = ∂a.b
Replacing x and y in the previous expression of d, I reach that:
d = ∂(b(a.c) - c(a.b))

...which is almost what I want to prove, except that I must now show that ∂ = 1. Now I know from internet research and reading on this forum that one way to obtain this result is by using vectors i,j,k instead of a,b,c. My homework also says that I can use vectors which do not alter the universality of the formula, like c = c1e1 (which is equivalent as if I would say c = c1i, if I'm not confused yet). My guess is that I have to develop both a x (b x c) and ∂(b(a.c) - c(a.b)) until coming to the same expression on both sides, right?

I feel stupid, because this step looks like the easiest. However, I still do not fully understand the basic operation of replacing vectors, and it would help me for the future if someone could clarify this for me. Here is an attempt to illustrate my confusion (let's take a x (b x c)):

b x c = (b2c3 - b3c2)e1 + (b3c1 - b1c3)e2 + (b1c2 - b2c1)e3
a
x (b x c) = (a2(b1c2 - b2c1)e3 - a3(b3c1 - b1c3)e2) + a3(b2c3 - b3c2)e1 - a1(b1c2 - b2c1)e3) + (a1(b3c1 - b1c3)e2 - a2(b2c3 - b3c2)e1)
= (a2b1c2)e3 - (a2b2c1)e3 - (a3b3c1)e2 + (a3b1c3)e2 + (a3b2c3)e1 - (a3b3c2)e1 - (a1b1c2)e3 + (a1b2c1)e3 + (a1b3c1)e2 - (a1b1c3)e2 - (a2b2c3)e1 + (a1b3c2)e1
= (a3b2c3 - a3b3c2 - a2b2c3 + a1b3c2)e1 + (a3b1c3 -a3b3c1 + a1b3c1 - a1b1c3)e2 + (a2b1c2 - a2b2c1 - a1b1c2 + a1b2c1)e3

Ehem... :P I find myself very far from proving that ∂ = 1, and I am not even certain I didn't break any vector operation rules during my development!Thank you in advance for your advices.J.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would look at it this way. Start from the end and rediscover what the cross products.
Assume we are working vectors in the ##\hat x, \hat y, \hat z## basis.
##\vec A = A_x \hat x + A_y \hat y + A_z \hat z ##. ##\vec B## and ##\vec C## can be similarly defined.
##\vec B ( \vec A \cdot \vec C ) - \vec C(\vec A \cdot \vec B) = \\
\qquad \qquad \left( [A_xB_xC_x +A_yB_xC_y+A_zB_xC_z]-[A_xB_xC_x +A_yB_yC_x+A_zB_zC_x]\right)\hat x \\
\qquad \qquad \left( [A_xB_yC_x +A_yB_yC_y+A_zB_yC_z]-[A_xB_xC_y +A_yB_yC_y+A_zB_zC_y]\right)\hat y \\
\qquad \qquad \left( [A_xB_zC_x +A_yB_zC_y+A_zB_zC_z]-[A_xB_xC_z +A_yB_yC_z+A_zB_zC_z]\right)\hat z ##
Which you will notice has once set of canceling terms in each row.
What you are left with is:
## \left( [A_yB_xC_y+A_zB_xC_z]-[A_yB_yC_x+A_zB_zC_x]\right)\hat x \\
\left( [A_xB_yC_x +A_zB_yC_z]-[A_xB_xC_y +A_zB_zC_y]\right)\hat y \\
\left( [A_xB_zC_x +A_yB_zC_y]-[A_xB_xC_z +A_yB_yC_z]\right)\hat z ##
Which can be rewritten as:
## \left( A_y [ B_xC_y-yB_yC_x]+A_z[B_xC_z-B_zC_x]\right)\hat x \\
\left( A_x[ B_yC_x -B_xC_y] +A_z[ B_yC_z-B_zC_y]\right)\hat y \\
\left( A_x [B_zC_x-B_xC_z] +A_y[B_zC_y-B_yC_z] \right)\hat z ##
From there, it should only be one or two more steps to see that you have a ##\vec A\times(\vec B \times \vec C) ## right in front of you.

To begin, thank you very much for your answer. It has been very helpful.

RUber said:
Which can be rewritten as:
## \left( A_y [ B_xC_y-yB_yC_x]+A_z[B_xC_z-B_zC_x]\right)\hat x \\
\left( A_x[ B_yC_x -B_xC_y] +A_z[ B_yC_z-B_zC_y]\right)\hat y \\
\left( A_x [B_zC_x-B_xC_z] +A_y[B_zC_y-B_yC_z] \right)\hat z ##

Which then can again be rewritten again as:
## \left( A_y [ B_xC_y-yB_yC_x]-A_z[B_zC_x-B_xC_z]\right)\hat x \\
\left( A_z[ B_yC_z -B_zC_y] -A_x[ B_xC_y-B_yC_x]\right)\hat y \\
\left( A_x [B_zC_x-B_xC_z] -A_y[B_yC_z-B_zC_y] \right)\hat z ##
...which is the development of ##\vec A\times(\vec B \times \vec C) ##. That's great, thanks a lot!

J.

Related to Missing a step in the proof of the BAC-CAB rule

1. What is the BAC-CAB rule and why is it important in mathematics?

The BAC-CAB rule, also known as the "cross product rule," is a mathematical property that states: if A, B, and C are vectors, then the cross product of A and the cross product of B and C are equal. This rule is important because it allows for the simplification of complex vector equations and is commonly used in various fields of mathematics and physics.

2. What does it mean to "miss a step" in the proof of the BAC-CAB rule?

To "miss a step" in the proof of the BAC-CAB rule means that there is a gap or error in the logical progression of the proof. This can lead to an incorrect conclusion or an incomplete understanding of the rule.

3. What are some common mistakes made when proving the BAC-CAB rule?

Some common mistakes made when proving the BAC-CAB rule include not properly defining the vectors A, B, and C, not using the correct properties of vector operations, and not clearly explaining each step in the proof.

4. How can one avoid making mistakes when proving the BAC-CAB rule?

To avoid making mistakes when proving the BAC-CAB rule, one should carefully define and label all vectors, use the correct properties of vector operations, and clearly explain each step in the proof. It is also helpful to double check each step and seek feedback from peers or mentors.

5. Why is it important to have a complete and accurate proof of the BAC-CAB rule?

Havig a complete and accurate proof of the BAC-CAB rule is important because it ensures that the rule is properly understood and can be applied correctly in various mathematical and scientific contexts. Additionally, a thorough understanding of the proof can also lead to a deeper understanding of other mathematical concepts and principles.