Algorithm for creating unique groups of elements

In summary, the conversation revolves around assigning people to groups for an icebreaker in Python. The task involves grouping X number of people into groups of Y people each, with a preference for groups of Y+1 rather than Y-1. Additionally, each person belongs to a different department and no group should have more than one person from each department. The possibility of using a history function to prevent repeated pairings is also discussed. Different approaches and tools for solving the problem are suggested, such as using the Processing.org IDE, python from the command line with a simple text editor, or iPython for numerical computing.
Pi Face

Homework Statement

so for a side task I'm supposed to assign people to groups for an icebreaker in python, can anyone give me links to theories that I could read up on or give me suggestion

X number of people at my company signed up for a dinner roulette as a way to meet new people. Everyone is grouped in groups of Y people each (Y=3 in this case). If there is a remainder it is more preferable to have groups of Y+1 (4) rather than Y-1 (2) Furthermore, each of the X people are in a different department, let's say Z number of departments (D1, D2, D3 etc) and no group should have more than 1 person from each department where avoidable (groups of 4) I should have some sort of history function so that when the roulette is run again, the same people are not paired with each other. I'm only a novice comp sci student so I don't have much background in optimization methods, can someone critique my approach? I'm going to be writing this script in python so I've been looking into itertools but not sure what to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

assume say X=11 people, Y= groups of 3, Z = 5 departments A1= first person from dept A, B4= 4th person from dept B, etc

so let's say this is my group of people (3 from A, 5 from B, 2 from C, 1 from D, 3 from E)

A1 B1 C1 D1 E1
A2 B2 C2 E2
A3 B3 E3
-- B4
-- B5

My first thought is to put them in order from high to low population

B1 A1 E1 C1 D1
B2 A2 E2 C2
B3 A3 E3
B4
B5

next, I attempt to tetris-ify them, by squeezing them into a 3 person wide array. I leave B, A, E columns as is since they are the first 3. I take the next column, column C, and stack it on top of the second column, column A.

B1 A1 E1 D1
B2 A2 E2
B3 A3 E3
B4 C1
B5 C2

At this point, if there was 6 or more people in the B column, i would continue adding people to the second column until there were at least as many in column 2 as column 1. since they are equal (both 5), I move onto the next column, column D. I place the people of D onto the third column so we are left with

B1 A1 E1
B2 A2 E2
B3 A3 E3
B4 C1 D1
B5 C2

we now have 4 groups of 3 and 1 group of 2. Because we'd rather have groups of 4 than 2, we move the remainders to the 4th column

1) B1 A1 E1 B5
2) B2 A2 E2 C2
3) B3 A3 E3
4) B4 C1 D1

There is some conflict due to 2 people from group B in the first group/row but I think it's unavoidable(?)

Now for the second rnu of the roulette, we have stored the above 4 combinations as a history to prevent someone from being grouped with a person they've already been grouped with. Starting with the existing combinations, we leave the first column alone, shift the 2nd column by 1, the 3rd column by 2, and the 4th column by 3 to get:

1) B1 C1 E3 C2
2) B2 A1 D1
3) B3 A2 E1
4) B4 A3 E2 B5

This would be the second run of the roulette. I guess this also means that number of people per group needs to be less than number of groups for this to work?

There is also the issue of what happens when someone drops out from the first roulette to the second, and someone joins in on the second roulette. Let's say A1 drops out and E4, E5 joins, so we have

Ax B1 C1 D1 E1
A2 B2 C2 E2
A3 B3 E3
-- B4 E4new
-- B5 E5new

to make it easier to deal with the history, we keep the index of the old spot and then populate according to group:

Ax B1 C1 D1 E1
A2 B2 C2 E2
A3 B3 E3
-- B4 E4
-- B5 E5

put them in order once more (same order as first run):

B1 Ax E1 C1 D1
B2 A2 E2 C2
B3 A3 E3
B4 E4
B5 E5

next tetris-ify them

B1 Ax E1 C1
B2 A2 E2 C2
B3 A3 E3
B4 C1 E4
B5 C2 E5
D1

move remainder to 4th col

B1 Ax E1 C1
B2 A2 E2 C2
B3 A3 E3 D1
B4 C1 E4
B5 C2 E5

Then since it's the 2nd run, multiply each shift by 2: 2nd column shifted twice, 3rd col 4 times, 4th 6

B1 C1 E2
B2 C2 E3 C1
B3 Ax E4 C2
B4 A2 E5 D1
B5 A3 E1

so the groups are

1) B1 C1 E2
2) B2 C2 E3 C1
3) B3 E4 C2 (Ax is the A1 that left so he's gone)
4) B4 A2 E5 D1
5) B5 A3 E1

I realize upon rereading my post how confusing I might sound as I expressed myself poorly and have no real background in optimization, but I wanted to show my thought process and that I really took the time to think about the problem. Is there a more elegant solution to what I have? Is there a more optimal way? Feel free to link or post anything you think would help, I'm really curious as to how this can be optimized, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For tools, you could consider the Processing.org IDE which has an installable Python mode. It has to be one of the easier ways of playing with Python.

Other people may simply use python from the command line with a simple text editor like vim.

Lastly, there's iPython for numerical computing using python.

1. What is an algorithm for creating unique groups of elements?

An algorithm for creating unique groups of elements is a set of instructions or rules that are used to organize a set of elements into distinct groups. This can be useful for tasks such as data analysis, pattern recognition, or problem-solving.

2. How does the algorithm ensure the groups are unique?

The algorithm ensures the groups are unique by using specific criteria or constraints to create the groups. For example, the algorithm may use a combination of factors such as size, shape, color, or other characteristics to differentiate the groups.

3. Can the algorithm be applied to any type of elements?

Yes, the algorithm can be applied to any type of elements, as long as there are specific criteria or constraints that can be used to distinguish the elements into unique groups. This could include numbers, letters, objects, or even abstract concepts.

4. Is the algorithm flexible enough to handle a large number of elements?

The flexibility of the algorithm will depend on its design and implementation. Some algorithms may be better suited for handling a large number of elements, while others may be more efficient with smaller sets. It is important to consider the specific needs and limitations of the task at hand when selecting or designing an algorithm.

5. How can the effectiveness of the algorithm be evaluated?

The effectiveness of the algorithm can be evaluated by testing it on a set of elements and comparing the resulting groups to a desired outcome or known solution. This can help identify any errors or areas for improvement in the algorithm. Additionally, the algorithm can be evaluated based on its efficiency and scalability in handling different types and sizes of elements.