Missing precipitation data (hydrology)

In summary, the conversation discusses developing a hydrograph using precipitation data and estimating the amount of gauge X based on adjacent station precipitation amounts. The question raises concerns about the lack of normal annual precipitation data and whether the arithmetic method can be applied. It is suggested that there may be an editing error in the question.
tzx9633

Homework Statement

Develop a hydrograph (rainfall intensity vs time) for the precipitation data . Then , estimate the amount of gauge
X if there adjacent station precipitation amount of A , B and C are 42.4 , 35.3 and 38.4 respetively .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So , i calculate the precipitation at 30 mins interval first , as shown in the excel file .

I think there's something wrong with this question . Normally this type of question ( when we are asked to find the missing precipitation data) , we would use normal ratio or arithmethic mean method ...

In both cases , the normal annual precipitation is needed . But , in this question , the normal annual precipitation isn't provided .So , i think this question can't be done .

Is my concept correct ?

P/s : The data is in photo 713

Attachments

• 713.PNG
    713.PNG
    14.5 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_20171006_095136.jpg
    IMG_20171006_095136.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_20171006_095209.jpg
    IMG_20171006_095209.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 522
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can make out, there is no connection between the first part of the question and the second. This suggests an editing error. If they really are two separate questions, you have no choice but to assume the arithmetic method can be applied.

Likes tzx9633

1. What causes missing precipitation data in hydrology?

There are several factors that can cause missing precipitation data in hydrology. Some common causes include equipment malfunctions, data transmission errors, and human error during data collection. Extreme weather events or natural disasters can also damage equipment and disrupt data collection.

2. How does missing precipitation data affect hydrological studies?

Missing precipitation data can significantly impact the accuracy and reliability of hydrological studies. Precipitation is a crucial component of the water cycle and has a direct influence on streamflow, groundwater recharge, and other hydrological processes. Without complete and accurate data, it is challenging to make informed decisions and predictions about water resources.

3. How do scientists deal with missing precipitation data in hydrology?

Scientists use various methods to address missing precipitation data in hydrology. These methods include statistical interpolation techniques, such as kriging, which uses nearby data points to estimate missing values. Additionally, scientists may use data from nearby weather stations or satellite data to fill in gaps in the data.

4. How can we prevent missing precipitation data in hydrology?

To prevent missing precipitation data in hydrology, it is crucial to regularly maintain and calibrate equipment for data collection. This can help identify any issues before they lead to missing data. It is also essential to have backup systems in place and conduct regular quality control checks to ensure data accuracy.

5. How does climate change affect missing precipitation data in hydrology?

Climate change can have a significant impact on missing precipitation data in hydrology. As weather patterns become more extreme and unpredictable, there is a higher likelihood of equipment damage and data disruption. Additionally, changing precipitation patterns may also cause shifts in data collection methods and may require scientists to adapt their approaches to address missing data.

Back