Missionaries refuse aid to tsunami victims

• Thread starter klusener
  • Start date
In summary: Villagers furious with Christian Missionaries In summary, the villagers are angry with Christian missionaries for asking them to convert to Christianity before distributing relief supplies. The villagers forcibly stopped the relief trucks from leaving, and the missionaries were able to leave the village.
In that first article quoted, it did say it was an exception to the unified effort to provide aid to those who need it. To have the supplies people need for survival after such a tragedy and refuse to distribute them, that's not Christianity, no matter what those people say. But, yes, I can believe there are at least a few groups like that. Same for a group who would pray for destruction. If those stories are true, those groups should definitely be deported for entering the country under false pretenses. Have "Deportee" stamped on their passports to make it a bit harder for them to travel around with their poisonous beliefs. There are evil people in this world, and it doesn't make any difference if they call themselves Christian; the name doesn't make them good people.

I do have a problem with anyone heartless enough to pray for destruction of anyone or anything. Sick, sick, sick.

But there are far more people rushing to help who don't care about the religion or politics of the people to whom they are giving aid, they just care that there are people in dire need of assistance, who have just survived the worst imaginable sort of catastrophe. Don't let the actions of a bad few spoil the efforts of the vast majority who really are there out of kindness and charity. I'm sure there's a very special place in Hell reserved for those who commit such cruelty and kick people when they're down in the name of Christianity. It truly boggles my mind that such people can exist. And, of course the people who need help are in a state of high emotion, at least those who have stopped wandering around still feeling numb with shock. It's no surprise tempers are flaring over this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
the number 42, I accidently deleted your last post. That's what happens when I try to post before having my first cup of coffee, I'm sorry.

No problem. Its so obviously a sublimated sexual advance that it would be unkind for me to be offended :rolleyes:

You know the sad thing is that a church should feel that a conversion under such a condition would mean anything. There is a saying that goes something like this, a person changed against his will, is of the same opinion still. You can't force someone to accept your religion.

The only thing this kind of action (refusing to provide available aid unless they convert) can do is turn people against them.

As for the Southern Baptists praying for the walls to drop, I don't think they are speaking literally, I believe they are probably speaking of mental walls. Still, I disagree with this philosophy. I also don't like the idea of going into another house of worship and praying for it to fall physically or spiritually.

This is all very sad but
HOW IS THIS STRING OF CRIMES AND RANTS RELATED TO PHYSICS?

It would seem more appropriate to post this on a Sociology, International Affairs or Ethics forum than here. Don't get me wrong. As an avid newshound, I am regularly confronted by this sort of thing, but this doesn't seem to be the place to post it.

On a personal note, I sincerely hope that the full assets and all aid of these so-called mercy mission missionary groups are immediately seized countrywide and then distributed, and that all personnel from these groups are arrested and jailed or deported for public acts of depravity and inhumanity.

Of course, none of this will never happen. But it d^mn well should.

Syncline said:
This is all very sad but
HOW IS THIS STRING OF CRIMES AND RANTS RELATED TO PHYSICS?

Syncline, welcome to PF. The General Discussion board (and other forums in the PF Lounge) is where we let our hair down (those of us who have hair to let down anyway) and enjoy discussions that are not necessarily physics or science related. You may have gotten in here directly to this board. If so, look at the top of the screen and click on where it says "Physics Help and Math Help-Physics Forums." This will take you back to the main forum index where you can find the vast number of subforums we have here for your physics enjoyment! :biggrin:

On a personal note, I sincerely hope that the full assets and all aid of these so-called mercy mission missionary groups are immediately seized countrywide and then distributed, and that all personnel from these groups are arrested and jailed or deported for public acts of depravity and inhumanity.

I hope that the relevant officials keep a more level head and only take action against those who took part in the offensive behavior.

As a journalist, I would have hoped you would too.

No wonder Indonesia wants to kick out all western pseudo relief agencies.

spender said:
No wonder Indonesia wants to kick out all western pseudo relief agencies.
I guess you're referring to pseudo relief agencies like the US Navy ?

the first article is from the ANI the Asian News International, the number one news agency in Asia.
ANI is a very reputable news organization
:uhh: :uhh: I have never heard of such news agency. :uhh: :uhh: So I guess it isn't number one.

Back