Misunderstanding part of pascals identity algebraic proof

In summary, the combinatorial proof for Pascal's rule utilizes the definition of factorial to simplify the terms in the denominator. By multiplying the numerator and denominator by the same number, the denominators become equal, allowing for further simplification. This method is used in the step where [(n-k+1)n!kn!]/[k!(n-k+1)!] simplifies to [(n+1)n!]/[k!((n+1)-k)!]. This approach can be confusing at first, but understanding the definition of factorial helps to make sense of it.
CuriousBanker
I understand the combinatorial proof and the common sense behind why it works but lately I am trying to play around with proofs since I am still new to them. So I understand part of this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...QIUvOZD4K6yQHDp4Bw&ved=0CGAQ9QEwBjgK&dur=1607

Where I am getting confused is the step where we combine terms. The denominator of the first term is (n-k+1)k!(n-k)! , and the denominator of the second term is k(k-1)!(n-k+1)!

Then on the next line the denominator is k!(n-k+1)!.

How is that a common denominator for those two terms? I see there is a (n-k+1)! in both terms...but in the second term there is a k(k-1)! and in the first term there is a k!(n-k)!...how do those two terms somehow both reduce to k!?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It works because of the way the factorial is defined:
$$k! = k \cdot \underbrace{(k - 1) \cdot (k - 2) \cdots 2 \cdot 1}_{{} = (k - 1)!}$$
Similarly, you can show that (n - k + 1) * (n - k)! = (n - k + 1)!.

This is actually the reason for taking the first step: multiplying denominator and numerator by the same number so that the denominators become equal.

CompuChip said:
It works because of the way the factorial is defined:
$$k! = k \cdot \underbrace{(k - 1) \cdot (k - 2) \cdots 2 \cdot 1}_{{} = (k - 1)!}$$
Similarly, you can show that (n - k + 1) * (n - k)! = (n - k + 1)!.

This is actually the reason for taking the first step: multiplying denominator and numerator by the same number so that the denominators become equal.

Ok, that makes sense. But how does [(n-k+1)n!kn!]/[k!(n-k+1)!] simpylify to [(n+1)n!]/[k!((n+1)-k)!]

Totally lost as to how that step happened

CuriousBanker said:
Ok, that makes sense. But how does [(n-k+1)n!kn!]/[k!(n-k+1)!] simpylify to [(n+1)n!]/[k!((n+1)-k)!]

Totally lost as to how that step happened
For the numerator,
[tex](n-k+1)n!kn![/tex]can you see that this is:
[tex][(n-k+1)+k]n![/tex] ?

...which equals:
[tex](n+1)n![/tex]
For the denominator, surely you can see that [itex]n-k+1=(n+1)-k[/itex]

oay said:
For the numerator,
[tex](n-k+1)n!kn![/tex]can you see that this is:
[tex][(n-k+1)+k]n![/tex] ?

How? (n−k+1)n!kn! = [(n-k+1)n!]*kn!, whereas [(n−k+1)+k]n! = [(n-k+1)n!]+kn!

For the denominator, surely you can see that [itex]n-k+1=(n+1)-k[/itex]

Yeah, that part is obvious

CuriousBanker said:
How? (n−k+1)n!kn! = [(n-k+1)n!]*kn!, whereas [(n−k+1)+k]n! = [(n-k+1)n!]+kn!
Sorry, I made the mistake of quoting your misquote. :redface:

The numerator is actually [itex](n-k+1)n!+kn![/itex] which is [itex][(n-k+1)+k]n![/itex] which is [itex](n+1)n![/itex]

oay said:
Sorry, I made the mistake of quoting your misquote. :redface:

The numerator is actually [itex](n-k+1)n!+kn![/itex] which is [itex][(n-k+1)+k]n![/itex] which is [itex](n+1)n![/itex]

Ah, I understand now, thank you so much! That was bugging me for hours

Related to Misunderstanding part of pascals identity algebraic proof

1. What is Pascal's identity in algebra?

Pascal's identity, also known as Pascal's rule, is a mathematical formula that allows for the expansion of binomial coefficients. It states that the sum of the coefficients of a binomial expansion is equal to the coefficient of the next term in the expansion.

2. How is Pascal's identity used in algebraic proofs?

Pascal's identity is often used in algebraic proofs involving binomial coefficients. It allows for the simplification of complex expressions and can be used to prove various algebraic equations and identities.

3. What is meant by "Misunderstanding part of Pascal's identity algebraic proof"?

This phrase may refer to a common mistake made in algebraic proofs using Pascal's identity. It could mean that one part of the proof was not understood correctly or was misinterpreted, leading to an incorrect solution.

4. How can one avoid misunderstanding Pascal's identity in algebraic proofs?

To avoid misunderstanding Pascal's identity, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the formula and its applications. It is also helpful to carefully check each step of the proof and double check any calculations or simplifications.

5. Can Pascal's identity be applied to other areas of mathematics?

Yes, Pascal's identity has applications in various areas of mathematics such as combinatorics, number theory, and probability. It is also used in computer science and physics to solve problems and make predictions.