MIT online lecture: Algebra error?

In summary, the conversation was about a lecture on single variable calculus. The speaker mentioned that during the lecture, the instructor solved the area for a triangle and got an answer of 2, while the speaker got an answer of 2x0y0. They were confused as to how the instructor got the x0 and y0 to cancel out. The clue lies in the equation of the curve, y=1/x, which helps explain the cancellation.
Reagan0mics
Okay so I was watching this lecture.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathemat...ll-2006/video-lectures/lecture-1-derivatives/

Skip to 41 minutes

He's solving the area for a triangle, and I think he got the answer wrong.

The equation he got was

1/2 times (2x0)(2y0)

Some how he got this equation to = 2

However when I do it, the answer I get is 2x0y0

Because I do this:

1/2 times (2x0)(2y0)

4x0y0/2

which then is the same as 2x0y0
Some how he got 2 though as his answer. Am I missing some piece of information or something? I have no clue how he got the x0 and y0 to cancel out.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The clue lies in the equation of the curve. We have y=1/x, so then what does xy equal?

Related to MIT online lecture: Algebra error?

1. What is the MIT online lecture on Algebra error?

The MIT online lecture on Algebra error is a series of educational videos created by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) to help students understand common mistakes made in algebra and how to avoid them. The lectures are designed to supplement classroom learning and are available for free on the MIT OpenCourseWare platform.

2. Who is the target audience for the MIT online lecture on Algebra error?

The target audience for the MIT online lecture on Algebra error is students who are currently studying algebra or who are looking to improve their algebra skills. The lectures are also helpful for teachers and tutors who want to better understand common errors and how to address them in their teaching.

3. What topics are covered in the MIT online lecture on Algebra error?

The MIT online lecture on Algebra error covers a variety of topics including simplifying expressions, solving equations, factoring, graphing, and word problems. The lectures also discuss common mistakes and misconceptions associated with these topics and provide strategies for avoiding them.

4. Are there any prerequisites for watching the MIT online lecture on Algebra error?

There are no specific prerequisites for watching the MIT online lecture on Algebra error. However, it is recommended that viewers have a basic understanding of algebra concepts and terminology. The lectures are designed to supplement classroom learning and are not meant to replace traditional instruction.

5. Can I earn credit or a certificate for watching the MIT online lecture on Algebra error?

No, watching the MIT online lecture on Algebra error does not provide credit or a certificate. The lectures are solely for educational purposes and do not offer any formal accreditation. However, viewers can use the knowledge gained from the lectures to improve their understanding and performance in algebra courses.