Mixed topic : from FEM to analytical solution via limits?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using finite element methods to model a wave equation in space and time. The speaker also mentions techniques for computing the analytical solution and their relevance in the context of the Klein-Gordon equation. They also mention challenges in coding and the role of initial conditions in the problem.
jk22
Is this anyhow possible ?
The system would be a wave equation modelized by a finite elements basis in space and time.

Is there any method to do the limit discretization->continuum with paper and pencil ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you mean a convergence proof of the approximation method?

Rarely will such a proof give you an explicit, analytical expression for the solution, specially not if the domain has a non-trivial geometry. You will need a precise statement about existence and uniqueness of the (weak) solution to the original PDE, and you will need a precise definition of the limit. (These two requirements are usually not independent of each other.)

There are techniques for computing the analytical solution of your fem discretization. Your analytical solution is then a function of your (constant) mesh size and the polynomial degree of your basis functions. Maybe you can elaborate a bit on what you actually want to achieve.

Likes Delta2
I have never learned well Fem, but I wanted to do spacetime finite elements for the Klein-Gordon equation : ##\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial x^2}-\frac{\partial^2\psi}{c^2\partial t^2}=\lambda\psi##.

Then I wanted to make the change of coordinates ##x'=ct-x,y'=x+ct## transforming the LHS in ##4\frac{\partial^2\psi'}{\partial x'\partial y'}=\lambda\psi'## ? if I'm not mistaken

Next step was to choose linear basis functions on squares such that their non zero value lie in ##x',y'\in[0,2ct] ## to respect the limit speed of ##c##. (I think now I should treat this with polar coordinates to be correct)

The usual integration by part to get the stiffness matrix is done and

Strangely it seems to give an eigenvalue problem and the eigenvalue ##\lambda=-\frac{m_0c^2}{\hbar^2}## gives a quantized mass ?

Also there is no initial state to give which seems strange to me.

But I don't know how to code this but rather compute the limit of the steps ##\Delta x'=\Delta y'\rightarrow 0## analytically.

I don't even know if it is a well posed problem nor if it converges.

Last edited:

1. What is the Finite Element Method (FEM) and how does it work?

The Finite Element Method (FEM) is a numerical technique used to solve complex engineering problems. It divides a large, complex problem into smaller, simpler parts called finite elements. These finite elements are then solved using mathematical equations to approximate the behavior of the entire system. This method is commonly used in structural analysis, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and other fields of engineering.

2. How does the FEM compare to analytical solutions?

Analytical solutions are exact mathematical solutions to a problem, while the FEM provides an approximate solution. The FEM is often used when analytical solutions are not possible or are too complex. However, the FEM can still provide accurate results with less computational effort compared to analytical solutions.

3. What are the advantages of using the FEM?

The FEM has several advantages, including its ability to handle complex geometries and boundary conditions, its versatility in solving different types of problems, and its ability to provide accurate results with less computational effort. It also allows for easy incorporation of changes in the problem or system, making it a flexible tool for engineers and scientists.

4. What are the limitations of the FEM?

One limitation of the FEM is that it provides an approximate solution, which may not be as accurate as an analytical solution. It also requires a significant amount of computational resources, such as memory and processing power, to solve large and complex problems. Additionally, the FEM may have difficulties in handling problems with discontinuities or singularities.

5. How does the FEM use limits in its calculations?

The FEM uses limits in its calculations to approximate the behavior of the entire system. It divides the system into smaller elements and then takes the limit as the element size approaches zero to get an accurate solution. This process is known as the convergence of the FEM, and it ensures that the solution obtained is close to the true solution of the problem.