Can Mixed Units in Ratios Be Converted and Used Accurately in Calculations?

In summary: In this equation, ##a_t, a_n## are both in meters, so it's correct to say that the units in the addition should be meters. Whoops, I didn't even see that part of the question. When we do the addition in ##a = \sqrt{a_t^2 + a_n^2}## the two evidently have to have the same units in order to 'factorise the units out' in the addition. In this equation, ##a_t, a_n## are both in meters, so it's correct to say that the units in the addition should be meters.
photon184739
Homework Statement
The driver of a car moving at 90.0 km/h presses down on the brake as the car enters a circular curve of radius 150.0 m. If the speed of the car is decreasing at a rate of 9.0 km/h each second, what is the magnitude of the acceleration of the car at the instant its speed is 60.0 km/h?

(Openstax Physics 1 Chapter 4 q. 81)
Relevant Equations
a_c = v^2/r (centripetal acceleration)
a = a_c + a_t (centripetal and tangential acceleration)
I have the solution, but my question is that in my first attempt, I simply calculated a_c = 60^2/150 ignoring the fact that the units for 60 are km/hr and the units for 150 are meters. Is this ever salvageable? Is there any way to retain the 'mixed' units of km with meters in the ratio and apply a conversion factor, or is information lost and the approach should be 'scrapped'?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you write the first part out in long form, including all units. See where that takes you. Then work on combining the two accelerations.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
photon184739 said:
a = a_c + a_t (centripetal and tangential acceleration)
Also, this equation is incorrect. Quantities ac and at are orthogonal components of the acceleration vector. Simply adding them is incorrect if your goal is to find the magnitude.

Likes etotheipi
You need to do something about the hour also, unless you want your acceleration to be ##m/h^2##.
The best way is to convert kilometers to meters and hours to seconds before entering values into the equation.

Likes etotheipi
As has been mentioned, if in doubt, carry the units through your calculation. $$\frac{(60 \text{km}\text{h}^{-1})^2}{150\text{m}} = \frac{3600 \times (10^3 \text{m})^2 \times (3600s)^{-2}}{150 \text{m}} = \text{etc.}$$ @Lnewqban's method has the benefit that if you always use SI units, the units will simplify into the standard SI unit for the new calculated quantity, which can save lot of work!

Likes Lnewqban
etotheipi said:
As has been mentioned, if in doubt, carry the units through your calculation. $$\frac{(60 \text{km}\text{h}^{-1})^2}{150\text{m}} = \frac{3600 \times (10^3 \text{m})^2 \times (3600s)^{-2}}{150 \text{m}} = \text{etc.}$$ @Lnewqban's method has the benefit that if you always use SI units, the units will simplify into the standard SI unit for the new calculated quantity and that means we don't need to worry much about the units except for giving the final answer.
Perhaps. Since the question has already chosen the units by giving the tangential acceleration not in SI but as ##a_t=9.0~\mathrm{\dfrac{km/hr}{s}}##, I would say that the magnitude of the acceleration should be given in the same units. All one has to do is convert the centripetal acceleration as calculated by OP, ##a_c=\dfrac{(60~\mathrm{km/hr)^2}}{150~\mathrm m}## into these same units.

Likes etotheipi
kuruman said:
Perhaps. Since the question has already chosen the units by giving the tangential acceleration not in SI but as ##a_t=9.0~\mathrm{\dfrac{km/hr}{s}}##, I would say that the magnitude of the acceleration should be given in the same units. All one has to do is convert the centripetal acceleration as calculated by OP, ##a_c=\dfrac{(60~\mathrm{km/hr)^2}}{150~\mathrm m}## into these same units.

Whoops, I didn't even see that part of the question. When we do the addition in ##a = \sqrt{a_t^2 + a_n^2}## the two evidently have to have the same units in order to 'factorise the units out' in the addition.

Likes Lnewqban and kuruman

What are mixed units in a ratio?

Mixed units in a ratio refer to a comparison between two quantities that have different units of measurement. For example, a ratio of 3 feet to 2 meters would be considered a mixed units ratio.

Why are mixed units in a ratio important?

Mixed units in a ratio are important because they allow us to compare and understand relationships between quantities with different units. This is particularly useful in scientific and mathematical calculations.

How do you convert mixed units in a ratio?

To convert mixed units in a ratio, you must first convert all units to the same measurement. This can be done by using conversion factors or by converting one unit to another using a conversion formula.

Can mixed units in a ratio be simplified?

Yes, mixed units in a ratio can be simplified by converting all units to the same measurement and then simplifying the ratio using basic mathematical principles.

What are some real-life examples of mixed units in a ratio?

Examples of mixed units in a ratio can be found in many everyday situations, such as comparing the amount of sugar to flour in a recipe, comparing the distance traveled in miles to the time taken in hours, or comparing the number of students to the number of teachers in a classroom.