Mixing two different liquids at different temperatures

In summary, the temperature will reach equilibrium first, but the concentrations will reach equilibrium first.
RobertHutchison
When I pour two different liquids at different temperatures, into the same container, the temperature will be uneven at the start but then will approach equilibrium. Similarly, the concentrations of each liquid will be uneven but when mixing is complete, there will be the same concentrations throughout the liquid. I am wondering whether the temperature will reach equilibrium first or whether the concentrations will reach equilibrium first.
A bit of a tricky one I think.

Science news on Phys.org
P.S. the liquids are completely miscible with each other.

If you're stirring the system, both will happen very fast. In any case, to ascertain which will happen faster, you need to compare the thermal diffusivity with the molecular diffusivity. The ratio of the thermal diffusivity to the mass diffusivity is called the Lewis Number (a dimensionless group).

Chet

Thanks Chet.

I have quickly looked at the Lewis number and it is certainly relevant to the problem. I will chase this through. The particular problem I am investigating is injecting water into a concentrated salt solution at 250C. I am wanting to find out whether the water will boil before it is absorbed or it will be absorbed before it boils. Any suggestions?

Robert

Of course the Lewis number tells you a lot about the problem. It it will also depend on the initial conditions, i.e. What is the temperature of each liquid at the beginning and what is(are) the initial concentration(s).

RobertHutchison said:
Thanks Chet.

I have quickly looked at the Lewis number and it is certainly relevant to the problem. I will chase this through. The particular problem I am investigating is injecting water into a concentrated salt solution at 250C. I am wanting to find out whether the water will boil before it is absorbed or it will be absorbed before it boils. Any suggestions?

Robert
Well, I think you can get a handle on it by doing some modeling. But, it would have to include some simulation of the mixing. Maybe you could start by modeling an array of alternate striated slabs of water and salt water. This is how I might begin to approach something like this.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Well, I think you can get a handle on it by doing some modeling. But, it would have to include some simulation of the mixing. Maybe you could start by modeling an array of alternate striated slabs of water and salt water. This is how I might begin to approach something like this.

Chet

Getting any more detailed than that may be... problematic. This problem reeks of turbulent mixing in a jet, which is an active area of modern fluid dynamics research.

Thanks Chet and boneh3ad. Your advice has been very helpful.

boneh3ad said:
Of course the Lewis number tells you a lot about the problem. It it will also depend on the initial conditions, i.e. What is the temperature of each liquid at the beginning and what is(are) the initial concentration(s).
Off topic, but, I must say, your Dr. Strangelove is a spectacular choice of avatar. I doff my cap to you sir!

Likes boneh3ad

1. What happens when two different liquids at different temperatures are mixed?

When two different liquids at different temperatures are mixed, heat is transferred between the two liquids. The amount of heat transferred depends on the specific heat capacities and the initial temperatures of the liquids.

2. Will the resulting temperature be the average of the two initial temperatures?

No, the resulting temperature will not always be the average of the two initial temperatures. The final temperature will depend on the masses and specific heat capacities of the two liquids.

3. What are the factors that affect the final temperature when mixing two different liquids at different temperatures?

The final temperature when mixing two different liquids at different temperatures is affected by the masses, specific heat capacities, and initial temperatures of the liquids. The rate of mixing and the properties of the container can also play a role.

4. Is it possible to achieve a final temperature that is higher than the initial temperatures of both liquids?

Yes, it is possible to achieve a final temperature that is higher than the initial temperatures of both liquids. This can happen if one liquid has a significantly higher temperature and a larger mass compared to the other liquid.

5. What are the safety precautions to take when mixing two different liquids at different temperatures?

It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling different liquids. Always mix the liquids slowly and carefully to avoid splashing or spilling. Also, make sure the container is suitable for mixing and can withstand the temperature changes. If necessary, mix the liquids in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes.