MNCP5 error: Program Exception - stack overflow

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of not having enough information to identify the cause of a program error and suggests finding a user group for help. It also mentions the rising gas prices and the frustration it brings to drivers.
ytaiwo85
TL;DR Summary
what causes this error message forrtl: severe (170): Program Exception - stack overflow on mcnp5 when using new data library endf80 (lib80.x) with geometry that have many latice cell. It work well on simple model and when use with mcnpx.
I can figure it out, what is really wrong because the same geometry work without error with other data library (Fendl, endf70B).
only this new library gives this error message[ forrtl: severe (170): Program Exception - stack overflow]
1614877704892.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There's really not enough to go on.

Can you run the program in a debugger? Sometimes program code is compiled and linked to its source code such that a debugger can identify the line of failure and from there you can identify what may have caused it.

I would suggest finding a user group for this program and ask knowledgeable users about your error. It's likely that you have exceeded some limit on the size of your data.

In the meantime, go through your data to see if there are any numbers that are extremely large or much larger than usual. Check to see if there are any invalid numbers like entering 12:34 or 12^34 instead of 12.34.

Likes berkeman

"I can't believe how expensive gas prices have gotten! It's ridiculous how much we have to pay just to fill up our tanks."

I completely agree with you. Gas prices seem to be constantly rising and it's becoming a burden for many people. It's especially frustrating when you have to drive long distances for work or other commitments. It seems like there's no end in sight for these high prices. I hope something can be done to make it more affordable for everyone.

1. What is a "stack overflow" error?

A stack overflow error occurs when a program tries to use more memory space than is available on the computer's stack. The stack is a section of memory used for storing variables and function calls, and when it becomes full, the program cannot continue to run.

2. What is the MNCP5 program and how does it relate to the error?

The MNCP5 program is a specific program that is experiencing the stack overflow error. This error is a common type of program exception, which means that the program is attempting to perform an operation that is not allowed or not possible.

3. How can I fix a stack overflow error?

There are a few potential solutions to fixing a stack overflow error. One option is to increase the size of the stack memory, if possible. Another option is to optimize the code to use less memory or to prevent recursive function calls. It may also be helpful to check for any memory leaks or bugs in the code.

4. Can a stack overflow error cause any damage to my computer?

No, a stack overflow error itself cannot cause any damage to your computer. However, if the error is not addressed, it can cause the program to crash or freeze, which may result in data loss or other issues.

5. Is a stack overflow error a common issue in programming?

Yes, stack overflow errors are a common issue in programming, especially in languages that do not have automatic memory management. It is important for programmers to be aware of this error and to implement strategies to prevent it from occurring in their code.