Modal frequencies of a vibrating circular membrane? (DRUM)

In summary, the first step to calculating a mode as a multiplier of "f1" is to find the Bessel function of the first kind for the value of "f1". The second step is to use a C++ calculator with the Boost library or Python with "MPMath" to find the zeros of the Bessel function.
mikejm
I am in the process of trying to develop a modal drum synth. I have the following graphics as references for the frequencies of some of the first modes relative to the fundamental:

drummodes.jpg

mem.gif

This is a good start. But I want to be able to model more modes than just that.

What is the formula required to calculate any mode as a multiplier of "f1" like above?

Eg. If I am wondering what the (7,1) mode is, how would I calculate that?

This article gets into it from what I can tell, but it's way over my head mathematically:
https://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phys406/lecture_notes/p406pom_lecture_notes/p406pom_lect4_part2.pdf

Ideally I'd like a formula I can punch (2,1) into and get 2.14 (for example).

Any help? Very appreciated if so.

Thanks,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the excerpt from that Physics 400 level course that I think summarizes the equations that are needed:

bessel.png

I never went past first year physics (biology & medicine guy) so I don't understand how to use these.

Any help?

If anyone has any medical questions I'm happy to answer those in return. :biggrin:

Your issue is how to compute ##x_{mn}##, which is the n-th zero of the m-th order Bessel function. There is no simple formula to do this, however there are many resources that will do the dirty work for you. A Bessel function of the first kind, ##J_m\left (x\right )##, looks kind of like a periodic function but whose y values cross the x-axis at non-periodic x values. You don't need to know all about Bessel functions to solve your problem. There are online calculators that input m-n and spit back ##x_{mn}##. Google "zeros of Bessel functions".
If you know how to program c++, the boost library has a function that does this as well.

Wow. This is way harder to do than I thought it would be. Okay. Thanks.

So I've looked into what you're describing a bit, and I can find three approaches to getting it done (none of which I actually understand o_O?:)). I can't code anything except HTML lol.

(If you're wondering how I'm building a drum synth without knowing how to code, it's because I'm doing it in Reaktor which doesn't require coding so much as linking modules in a logical fashion to get the signal you want.)

Anyway, here is what I've found:

1) Calculators
I found two Bessel calculators:
http://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1180573472
http://www.mhtl.uwaterloo.ca/old/courses/me3532/js/bessel.html

The Casio one says it's for calculating zeros, but I don't know what to put in there to get what I want (or if it can give me what I want).

2) C++ with Boost
As you suggested, Fred, I found this page which seems to summarize a lot about Bessel functions and C+:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_62_0/libs/math/doc/html/math_toolkit/bessel/bessel_root.html

Is there a simple bit of code of command I could just plug into get what I want?

3) Python with MPMath
I found this seemingly simple technique using "MPMath" for Python:
http://fredrik-j.blogspot.ca/2010/07/sage-days-23-and-bessel-function-zeros.html

He gives the following example of its utility:

>>> besseljzero(1,100)

Is that what I want? Or would it get me what I want?

Which of those would likely be the easiest way to get what I want? Thanks again. Any further help would be appreciated. I feel like a toddler.

I think the easiest implementation for you is to go with the Casio calculator. In order to work that calculator enter m in the box that says "order ##\nu##" and n in the box that says "ordinal number s", then press the "execute" button. Divide your answer by 2.4. Give it a go and compare with the ##f_{mn}## you already have.
Edit: The answer is by the red dot.

Last edited:
Ha!

Well that is super easy. You just made my day Fred. That was a million times simpler than I was preparing for.

Thanks. Have a good one. :smile:

1. What is a modal frequency?

A modal frequency refers to the natural frequencies at which a circular membrane, such as a drum, vibrates when struck. These frequencies are determined by the shape, size, and material of the membrane and can be calculated using mathematical equations.

2. How do you calculate the modal frequencies of a vibrating circular membrane?

The modal frequencies of a vibrating circular membrane can be calculated using Bessel functions, which are a type of special mathematical function. These functions take into account the diameter and tension of the membrane to determine the modal frequencies.

3. What factors affect the modal frequencies of a vibrating circular membrane?

The modal frequencies of a vibrating circular membrane are primarily affected by the diameter and tension of the membrane. Other factors such as the material of the membrane and the environment in which it is vibrating can also have an impact.

4. How do modal frequencies of a vibrating circular membrane relate to the sound produced?

The modal frequencies of a vibrating circular membrane determine the pitch or tone of the sound produced. Each modal frequency corresponds to a specific pitch, and the combination of these frequencies creates the overall sound of the drum.

5. Can the modal frequencies of a vibrating circular membrane be changed?

Yes, the modal frequencies of a vibrating circular membrane can be changed by altering the diameter or tension of the membrane. This can be done by physically adjusting the drum or using different materials to create the membrane.