Mode Matching a Cavity: Best Practices Explained

In summary: Good luck!In summary, to mode match a cavity in practice, you can calculate the ideal spot size of the beam as it enters the cavity using the same math as for an infinite series of thin lenses separated by the cavity length. The condition for mode matching is that the spot size needs to be the same at every lens in the series. You can also treat your bowtie cavity as a Fabry-Perot cavity, where the spacing is given by the distance traveled between the two curved mirrors. By solving a mathematical equation, you can find the q-parameter of the incident beam, which will get you close to the desired mode. Fine-tuning can be done experimentally. Additionally, it is important to regularly check and adjust alignment when changing
Malamala
Hello! What is the best way to mode match a cavity in practice? I know the laser spot size before it enters the cavity, but I don't know what the beam spot size should be inside the cavity, so I am not sure how I should adjust the size of the laser spot such that it matches the one that builds up inside the cavity. I tried to just maximize the power output from the cavity several times, but every time the mode leaving the cavity is a higher order one (not the T00 that I want), so I am not sure how to proceed. Can someone advise me on this? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry this post will be super rough.

1) You can calculate the ideal spot size of the beam as it enters the cavity. I don't have time to go in depth (sorry :/), but the math for a simple two-mirror cavity is the same as for an infinite series of thin lenses separated by the cavity length. Each lens represents one reflection off the curved cavoty mirror. The condition for mode matching is that the spot size needs to be the same at every lens in the series. My preference is to set up a system of ABCD matrices and solve for the q-parameter of the incident beam. For your bowtie, you can ignore the non-curved mirrors. All that matters is the two curved mirrors and the distance traversed between them.

2. If you're getting higher order modes, the problem is alignment not spot size. Add some wedges and a CCD camera to the transmitted beam so you can see which mode you have.

3. Every time you change the spot size, you need yo re-do the alignment. Its a 5 parameter walk (1 spot size + 4 alignment). It sucks but thems the way it is.

4) How are you measuring transmitted power? A picture of your technique would be nice

Just wanted to supplement the information I posted about calculating the mode-matching conditions.

You can treat your bowtie cavity the same as a Fabry-Perot cavity, where the spacing of the Fabry-Perot is given by the distance the travels in the bowtie between the two curved mirrors. The mathematical condition for mode-matching a Fabry-Perot cavity is given by: $$\left( \begin{matrix} kq \\ k \end{matrix} \right) = \left( \begin{matrix} 1 & d \\ -1/f & 1 - d/f \end{matrix} \right) \left( \begin{matrix} q \\ 1 \end{matrix} \right)$$
where d is the distance between curved mirrors and f is the focal length of the curved mirrors (half the radius of curvature)
Solve the above equation for k and q. The value of k is meaningless, but it's a necessary step in finding the value of q. This q is the q-parameter of gaussian optics.

This procedure gives the you q-parameter just inside the cavity. You can ignore the difference between inside and outside of the cavity. This math will get you close to where you need to be, and the rest will be solved experimentally by fine-tuning.

1. What is mode matching and why is it important in cavity design?

Mode matching is the process of ensuring that the modes of a cavity, such as a laser resonator, are properly aligned and matched. This is important because it allows for efficient and stable operation of the cavity, leading to better performance and output power.

2. How do you determine the optimal mode size for a cavity?

The optimal mode size for a cavity is typically determined by taking into account the size and shape of the gain medium, as well as the desired output power and beam quality. This can be calculated using various techniques, such as Gaussian beam analysis or numerical simulations.

3. What are some common techniques for achieving mode matching in a cavity?

Some common techniques for achieving mode matching in a cavity include using curved mirrors, adjusting the cavity length, and using mode-matching lenses. These techniques can help to align the modes and optimize the overlap between the cavity modes and the gain medium.

4. What are some challenges that may arise when trying to achieve mode matching in a cavity?

One challenge that may arise is the presence of thermal lensing, which can distort the cavity modes and affect the mode matching. Another challenge is maintaining stability in the cavity, as even small changes in alignment or temperature can affect the mode matching.

5. Are there any best practices for mode matching a cavity?

Yes, there are several best practices that can help in achieving mode matching in a cavity. These include using high-quality optics, minimizing the number of optical elements in the cavity, and carefully controlling the cavity temperature. It is also important to regularly monitor and adjust the cavity alignment to maintain optimal mode matching.