Mode shapes in experimental modal analysis

Your Name]In summary, Geoff has shared his findings from experimental modal analysis of a cylindrical casing with 64 FRFs. He has observed a discrepancy between the amplitude of a mode in the FRF and its corresponding mode shape, with a small mode at 4900 Hz showing significant vibration despite its low amplitude in the FRF. Geoff is seeking guidance on how to identify the strength of a mode from the FRF and if it is possible for a low amplitude mode to have a high vibration amplitude in the mode shape. It is suggested to compare experimental results with analytical or numerical models for a more comprehensive understanding of the observed mode strengths.
GMarsh
Hi,

I am doing experimental modal analysis of a cylindrical casing. I have 64 FRFs. I have curve fitted dominant modes and obtained a synthesised FRF. Now when I see the animation of mode shapes corresponding to each of the frequencies in FRF, I am finding a not-so-significant (amplitude wise) mode in FRF is having the highest vibration amplitude on relative scale.

To explain in detail a bit, I have nearly 65 modes in frequency range 1200 - 15000 Hz. As expected the initial bending modes are showing greater magnitude in FRF. But when I see mode shapes, a small mode at 4900 Hz is vibrating heavily. This is validated through experiment as well. In operational condition, 4900 Hz and its harmonics clearly stand out in FFT of vibration signal.

How to identify the strength of a mode from FRF ? And is it possible that a low amplitude mode in FRF has heavy vibrating amplitude in mode shape.

I am attaching the file with FRFs and mode shape.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Regards
Geoff

Attachments

• FRF_ModeShape.doc
    198.5 KB · Views: 286
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for sharing your findings and data. It is quite common to observe a discrepancy between the amplitude of a mode in the frequency response function (FRF) and its corresponding mode shape. This is because the FRF is a measure of the system's response to a specific excitation frequency, while the mode shape represents the shape and amplitude of vibration at a specific frequency.

In order to identify the strength of a mode from the FRF, you can look at the peak amplitude of the mode in the FRF plot. This will give you an idea of the magnitude of the mode compared to others in the frequency range. However, it is important to note that the FRF is not a direct measure of the mode's strength, but rather an indication of its influence on the overall system response.

It is definitely possible for a low amplitude mode in the FRF to have a high amplitude in the mode shape. This can happen due to several reasons, such as the mode being excited by a specific harmonic of the excitation frequency, or the mode being highly localized at a specific location in the structure.

In order to validate your findings, it is important to compare your experimental results with analytical or numerical models. This will help you understand the behavior of your system and provide a more comprehensive understanding of the observed mode strengths.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your analysis.

Regards,

What is the purpose of mode shapes in experimental modal analysis?

Mode shapes in experimental modal analysis are used to identify the natural frequencies and corresponding vibration patterns of a structure. They provide insight into the dynamic behavior of the structure and can be used to assess its structural integrity and performance.

How are mode shapes measured in experimental modal analysis?

Mode shapes are measured using a variety of techniques, including accelerometers, laser vibrometers, and strain gauges. These measurements are typically taken while the structure is excited with a known input, such as an impact hammer or shaker, and the resulting vibrations are recorded.

What factors can affect the accuracy of mode shapes in experimental modal analysis?

The accuracy of mode shapes can be affected by several factors, including noise and measurement errors, the type and location of sensors used, and the structural boundary conditions. It is important to carefully design the experimental setup and conduct multiple tests to ensure accurate results.

What is the significance of the first mode shape in experimental modal analysis?

The first mode shape, also known as the fundamental mode, is of particular interest in experimental modal analysis. It represents the lowest natural frequency and the corresponding vibration pattern of the structure, which can provide valuable information about its overall stiffness and mass distribution.

How are mode shapes used in structural health monitoring?

Mode shapes can be used in structural health monitoring to track changes in the dynamic behavior of a structure over time. By comparing current mode shapes to baseline measurements, any changes in the structure's stiffness or mass distribution can be detected, allowing for early detection of potential structural issues.