Model rocket physics: Why doesn't the motor go through the nose cone?

In summary, the reason why the motor tube on small model rockets does not have a retention ring is because the engine block serves as a stop to prevent the motor from flying out of the nose cone. For larger model rockets, the stop is built into the rear of the motor. Friction and thrust rings are used to hold the motor in place for rockets with the same diameter as the motor, while a separate mounting system with a clip is used for larger rockets.
LT72884
For those who have built those small model rockets, please help me understand a very very simple physics problem that i for some reason do not fully get.
Why is it that the motor tube does not have a retention ring on it, to prevent the motor from flying out the nose cone? i know it cant be friction that holds the motor in place because the motor slides in pretty nice, but nothing to stop it from sliding further and eventually out the nose cone
Thanks
EDIT: i figured out my answer and yes, im an idiot today.... feel free to add whatever you want to this post
1678733133577.png

thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LT72884 said:
Why is it that the motor tube does not have a retention ring on it, to prevent the motor from flying out the nose cone?
The model rockets I built (decades ago!) all had retaining rings ("Engine Block/Ring (Internal)") glued to the interior to prevent engine motion.
Model Rocket.jpg

(from here)

Likes berkeman and russ_watters
renormalize said:
The model rockets I built (decades ago!) all had retaining rings ("Engine Block/Ring (Internal)") glued to the interior to prevent engine motion.
View attachment 323566
(from here)
...and for rockets with a body the same diameter as the motor, it's just a simple ring. If there wasn't enough friction in the body they could fall our before launch!

LT72884 said:
EDIT: i figured out my answer and yes, im an idiot today.... feel free to add whatever you want to this post
If you can ask the right question, and then answer it yourself, you are not an idiot. You are an engineer considering a complex multidimensional system.

Likes hutchphd, Nugatory, russ_watters and 1 other person
LT72884 said:
. feel free to add whatever you want to this post
Am I right to assume that the engine block accounts for most of the total mass? The friction/rings only have to transmit the force to accelerate the lightweight rest of the rocket.

Likes russ_watters
A.T. said:
Am I right to assume that the engine block accounts for most of the total mass? The friction/rings only have to transmit the force to accelerate the lightweight rest of the rocket.
Well back in my day, the engine rings and body of a small model rocket were just sections of carboard tubing of almost negligible weight in comparison to that of the disposable rocket engine itself, the balsa wood fins & nosecone, and payload, if any.

Likes russ_watters
As stated above, most small model rockets use an internal ring that the front of the motor butts up against to prevent exactly this from happening.

For larger model rockets, it's much more common for this to be missing, and instead the motors are designed with a slightly larger diameter section right at the rear of the rocket motor that butts up against the rear of the motor tube. The reason for this difference is because in larger models, a common way to change motor fuel capacity (and thus power) is to change the length of the motor, so having a forward stop would be problematic and would require a variety of spacers depending on motor length. Having the stop built into the rear of the motor instead completely solves this issue.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and gmax137
It’s been over a decade since my last experience with model rockets (as a Scout leader), but I distinctly remember metal clips. Maybe they’re on some models but not others? Or maybe not used anymore?

Likes russ_watters
marcusl said:
It’s been over a decade since my last experience with model rockets (as a Scout leader), but I distinctly remember metal clips. Maybe they’re on some models but not others? Or maybe not used anymore?
It just depends on the diameter of the rocket. If the diameter of the rocket is the same as the motor they are held in place with just a thrust ring and friction. If the rocket is larger they use a mounting system with a separate tube, stand-off rings and a clip.

1. Why is the motor placed at the bottom of the rocket instead of going through the nose cone?

The motor is placed at the bottom of the rocket for stability reasons. The thrust from the motor creates a force that pushes the rocket upwards, and placing the motor at the bottom allows for a more stable and controlled flight path.

2. Can the motor be placed through the nose cone for aesthetic purposes?

Technically, the motor can be placed through the nose cone for aesthetic purposes. However, this may affect the stability and performance of the rocket. It is best to follow the recommended placement of the motor for optimal flight.

3. Is there any benefit to placing the motor through the nose cone?

No, there is no benefit to placing the motor through the nose cone. As mentioned before, it may actually affect the stability and performance of the rocket.

4. Are there any safety concerns with having the motor go through the nose cone?

Yes, there are safety concerns with having the motor go through the nose cone. Placing the motor at the bottom of the rocket allows for a safer launch, as the exhaust and heat from the motor will not be directed towards the nose cone and potentially cause damage.

5. Is the placement of the motor through the nose cone a common misconception?

Yes, it is a common misconception that the motor should go through the nose cone. This misconception may stem from the appearance of actual rockets, where the engines are often placed at the bottom of the rocket for stability. However, model rockets are designed differently and require the motor to be placed at the bottom for optimal flight.