Modeling potential energy equations of a balloon bungee jumper

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem about a person bungee jumping from a tethered balloon with a bungee cord modeled as a spring. The total potential energy of the system is calculated as the sum of gravitational and elastic potential energy equations. The minimum height of the jumper is determined by setting the kinetic energy to 0 and considering the total energy of the system.
Pinkk

Homework Statement

Starting from rest, a 64.0 kg person bungee jumps from a tethered balloon 65.0 m above the ground. The bungee cord has negligible mass and unstretched length 25.8 m. One end is tied to the basket of the balloon and the other end to the person's body. The cord is modeled as a spring that obeys Hooke's law with a spring constant of 81.0 N/m, and the person is considered to be a particle. The balloon does not move. Find an equation for the total potential energy of the system as a function of height y above the ground and determine the minimum height the person will be above the ground during the plunge.

Homework Equations

Gravitational potential energy is modeled as U = mgy and elastic potential energy is modeled as U = .5ky^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought the gravitational potential equation was straightforward; U = (64)(9.8)y. For the elastic potential equation I am not so sure; I wrote down: U = .5(81)(39.2 - y)^2 since the tether hangs unstretched 39.2 m above the ground. And again, I am not totally sure but the total potential energy equation should simply be the sum of those two equations; U = 627.2y + 40.5(39.2 - y)^2. Even if this equation is correct, I do not know how to find the minimum height of the jumper; is it when the potential energy is 0 J? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The U expression looks good to me.
I think the minimum height will occur when the kinetic energy is zero, and you'll have to model the total energy in order to find it.

Okay, and since there is no air resistance, the person is only subjected to conservative forces, and therefore the total mechanical energy of the system is equal to the sum of kinetic and potential energy. So if kinetic energy has to equal 0 J, the minimum height is when the total mechanical energy is equal to the potential energy. But now I'm stuck on how to find the total energy.

Initially the only energy is mgy, so that is the total.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thank you. :)

Edit: But now looking at it, if the total energy is mgy (which is 627.2y), then the equation becomes 0 = 40.5(39.2 - y)^2, making the y= 39.2, which is means the minimum height is when the rope is unstretched. That does not make sense. I was actually thinking, would the derivative of the potential energy equation have to equal zero since the total energy is always constant (the mechanical is never converted into internal energy)?

Last edited:
Not 627.2y, but m*g*65 = 40810 J.
0 = 40.5(39.2 - y)^2
doesn't make sense. The spring will have a lot of the energy after it stops the falling jumper. I think you want to say:
total E = mgy + spring energy + KE
and consider the point where KE = 0.

Ah okay, I think I understand now. Thanks again.

Most welcome! An interesting problem.

Related to Modeling potential energy equations of a balloon bungee jumper

1. What is the purpose of modeling potential energy equations for a balloon bungee jumper?

The purpose of modeling potential energy equations for a balloon bungee jumper is to predict the behavior and performance of the jumper before conducting any physical experiments. By using mathematical equations, scientists can determine the maximum height the balloon can reach and the maximum distance the jumper can travel before reaching the ground.

2. How do you calculate the potential energy of a balloon bungee jumper?

The potential energy of a balloon bungee jumper can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the jumper by the acceleration due to gravity and the height of the jumper above the ground. This equation is known as the gravitational potential energy equation: PE = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of a balloon bungee jumper?

The potential energy of a balloon bungee jumper is affected by several factors, including the height of the jumper, the mass of the jumper, the elasticity of the bungee cord, and air resistance. These factors can impact the maximum height the balloon can reach and the maximum distance the jumper can travel before reaching the ground.

4. How does the potential energy of a balloon bungee jumper change during the bungee jump?

As the balloon bungee jumper falls, the potential energy decreases due to the decrease in height. However, when the bungee cord reaches its maximum stretching point, the potential energy increases again due to the increase in the distance between the jumper and the ground. The potential energy continues to fluctuate until the jumper comes to a complete stop.

5. Can potential energy equations accurately predict the behavior of a balloon bungee jumper?

Potential energy equations can provide a good estimate of the behavior and performance of a balloon bungee jumper. However, there are other factors, such as air resistance and wind, that may affect the actual outcome. Therefore, it is important to conduct physical experiments to validate the results obtained from the equations.