Modeling Simple N-body in Hypothetical Relativistic Dark Flow w/ Netlogo

In summary, Folkner, et al. provides a starting point for an N-body simulator, but it does not include the relativistic dark matter background features you want.
nearc
Gold Member
Looking for existing examples of or guidance on building computer simulations of simple N-bodies in relativist situations. Of particular interest is the simulation of a planet orbiting a star whilst that trivial solar system is caught in a dark flow of relativist velocity; maybe .8 or .9 C.

Not that it should matter but I plan to start out with Netlogo since that is what most of my students use and if I need more computational power I will switch over to C++ with openMP.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like the solar system part without the dark flow would be solvable as a two body near-Newtonian problem. Do you have an analytic metric as modified by such a dark mater flow? (no expert here, just someone who's numerically integrated a few ODEs in the day)

The relativisitc dark matter flow may break some of the usual approximations, which usually state non-relativistic velocities. While I'd guess that it _might_ not matter as long as the bodies are not relativistic, I can't even say that I'm sure it won't.

i assume there are already several basic relativity models, at least one for mercury? i would prefer an N-body model one that would allow me to add an additional uniform velocity in one direction, but any model would be a starting point.

Folkner, et a's paper, "The Planetary and Lunar Ephemerides DE430 and DE431" might be a starting place for an N-body simulator. But it doesn't have the relativistic dark mater backround features you want.

Some quotes from the paper that address some of your question:

Folkner et al said:
The translational equations of motion include contributions from: (a) the point mass inter-
actions among the Sun, Moon, planets, and asteroids; (b) the effects of the figure of the Sun
on the Moon and planets; (c) the effects of the figures of the Earth and Moon on each other
and on the Sun and planets from Mercury through Jupiter; (d) the effects upon the Moon’s
motion caused by tides raised upon the Earth by the Moon and Sun; and (e) the effects on
the Moon’s orbit of tides raised on the Moon by the Earth.

The gravitational acceleration of each body due to external point masses is derived from the
isotropic, parametrized post-Newtonian (PPN) n-body metric [24–26]. For each body
A, the acceleration due to interaction with other point masses is given by ...

Tracking down references 24-26 above might be the next step in your search.

The PPN approximation is discussed in a lot of textbooks (including MTW's text "Gravitation"), the questions I can't answer are how the dark matter background impacts the use of this approximation. The IAU 2000 recommendations and the various revisions thereof for the metric of the solar system (see for instance resolution B1.3 at https://syrte.obspm.fr/IAU_resolutions/Resol-UAI.htm AND the various updates since that date which I haven't linked to) are also potentially of some interest, basically the IAU extended the PPN metric mentioned by Folkner et al to make it easier to convert from barycentric to geocentric coordinates and back.

Likes nearc

1. What is a "Modeling Simple N-body in Hypothetical Relativistic Dark Flow w/ Netlogo"?

A "Modeling Simple N-body in Hypothetical Relativistic Dark Flow w/ Netlogo" is a computer simulation that uses the Netlogo programming language to model the movement of multiple bodies in a hypothetical universe with dark flow, which is a theoretical concept related to the expansion of the universe.

2. How does the Netlogo programming language work?

Netlogo is an agent-based modeling language that allows users to create simulations of complex systems by defining individual agents and their behaviors. It uses a combination of graphical programming and code to create interactive simulations.

3. What is the significance of modeling N-body systems in a hypothetical universe?

Modeling N-body systems in a hypothetical universe allows scientists to explore the behavior of complex systems under different conditions and parameters. This can provide insights into the fundamental laws of physics and help us better understand the behavior of our own universe.

4. How is relativistic dark flow incorporated into the model?

Relativistic dark flow is incorporated into the model by defining the parameters and equations that govern the movement of the bodies in the simulation. This includes taking into account the effects of dark energy and dark matter on the expansion of the universe.

5. What are some potential applications of this model?

This model can be used to study the behavior of N-body systems in various hypothetical universes, which can have implications for our understanding of cosmology and the laws of physics. It can also be used to test different theories and hypotheses related to dark flow and the expansion of the universe.