Modelling Evaporation of a Liquid

In summary, the speaker is looking for a general model to calculate the evaporation rate of a small pool of liquid in a cylindrical test chamber for an experiment. They have not been able to find a solution yet and are asking for suggestions. The evaporation rate may be affected by the air circulation in the room.
OKeeffe
I'm looking for a general model that I can use to approximate the evaporation rate of a small pool of liquid. The purpose is to calculate the rate at which a few mL of liquid is evaporating at the bottom of a cylindrical test chamber for an experiment. I figured that I wouldn't have any trouble finding the solution to this problem, as it seems pretty standard. It could be approximated as the evaporation of a liquid from a plane. But, I haven't come across a solution yet. Does anyone know where I might find one?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OKeeffe said:
I'm looking for a general model that I can use to approximate the evaporation rate of a small pool of liquid. The purpose is to calculate the rate at which a few mL of liquid is evaporating at the bottom of a cylindrical test chamber for an experiment. I figured that I wouldn't have any trouble finding the solution to this problem, as it seems pretty standard. It could be approximated as the evaporation of a liquid from a plane. But, I haven't come across a solution yet. Does anyone know where I might find one?
It depends on how well-mixed the air in the room is in the vicinity of the interface.

1. How is evaporation rate determined in a liquid?

The evaporation rate of a liquid is determined by several factors, including the surface area of the liquid, the temperature of the liquid and its surroundings, and the concentration of the liquid's molecules in the air. Other factors such as humidity and air flow can also affect the evaporation rate.

2. Can the evaporation rate of a liquid be accurately predicted?

While there are mathematical models that can predict the evaporation rate of a liquid, it is important to keep in mind that these models are based on a variety of assumptions and may not always accurately reflect real-world conditions. Factors such as wind, humidity, and temperature fluctuations can all impact the actual evaporation rate.

3. What are the practical applications of modelling evaporation of a liquid?

Modelling evaporation of a liquid can be useful in various industries, such as agriculture, where understanding the evaporation rate of water can help with irrigation planning. It can also be important in the development of products, such as cosmetics or pharmaceuticals, where evaporation plays a role in the product's effectiveness.

4. Is there a difference between evaporation and boiling?

Yes, there is a difference between evaporation and boiling. Evaporation occurs at the surface of a liquid, where individual molecules escape into the air. Boiling, on the other hand, occurs throughout the entire liquid when the temperature reaches a certain point, causing the liquid to turn into gas bubbles.

5. How can the evaporation rate of a liquid be increased?

The evaporation rate of a liquid can be increased by increasing the surface area of the liquid, increasing the temperature of the liquid and its surroundings, and decreasing the humidity in the air. Additionally, increasing air flow over the surface of the liquid can also increase the evaporation rate.