Modes of laser propagation in cylindrical optics

In summary, the light propagates in a cylinder and the solution involves a first order Gaussian function multiplied by another function that separates the intensity. This can be seen in the transverse Gaussian modes, which can also be called Laguerre-Gaussian or Hermite-Gaussian modes depending on the cross-section of the resonator. The solution involves a Gaussian divided in space, with the whole mode field diameter being visible in the Gaussian.
Sciencestd
pf.jpg

I saw the solution of the light propagates in cylinder.. so in every solution there is the first order Gaussain function (the slandered one) times another function which gives I think the separation, both of them gives the intensity separation.. So what does that mean?! is it as I draw on the image on mode 10.. or is it, for example, mode 20 the intensity in the yellow divided to three or ever mode by itself is Gaussian?!

(The image source is: optique-ingenieur.org)

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, but your 'spot shapes' are transverse Gaussian modes (more correctly, depending on the cross-section of the resonator, Laguerre–Gaussian (rotationally symmetric) or Hermite-Gaussian modes).

Likes Sciencestd
Yes I mean about the transverse Gaussain modes... when I look at the answers I see ##e^{-\frac{x^2+y^2}{w_0}}\times F(x,y)## where ##F(x,y)## can be bessel or Hermite... So my question is: can one look at this as the Gaussian divided in the space (yellow in the image above), or every mode by itself has Gaussian behavior.. if yes so why we see the whole mode field diameter ##w_0## in the Gaussian...

What are the different modes of laser propagation in cylindrical optics?

The different modes of laser propagation in cylindrical optics are the fundamental mode, the higher-order modes, and the hybrid modes. The fundamental mode is the lowest order mode with a single peak intensity profile, while the higher-order modes have multiple peaks and a more complex intensity profile. Hybrid modes are a combination of the fundamental and higher-order modes.

How do the modes of laser propagation affect the beam characteristics?

The mode of laser propagation can affect the beam characteristics in terms of its intensity profile, beam diameter, and divergence. The fundamental mode has a Gaussian intensity profile and a smaller beam diameter and divergence compared to the higher-order modes, which have more complex intensity profiles and larger beam diameters and divergences.

What is the significance of mode selection in laser applications?

The mode selection in laser applications is important as it determines the beam characteristics and can affect the performance of the laser. For example, in laser cutting and welding, a higher-order mode may be preferred for its larger beam diameter, while in laser microscopy, the fundamental mode is often used for its smaller beam diameter and better resolution.

How do cylindrical optics affect the mode of laser propagation?

Cylindrical optics, such as lenses and mirrors, can shape and manipulate the mode of laser propagation. They can focus or collimate the laser beam, which can change the intensity profile and beam characteristics. Cylindrical optics can also introduce aberrations that can affect the mode of laser propagation.

What factors can affect the mode of laser propagation in cylindrical optics?

The mode of laser propagation in cylindrical optics can be affected by factors such as the laser's wavelength, the optical properties of the cylindrical optics, and the alignment of the optics. The laser's power and mode structure can also play a role in determining the mode of propagation in cylindrical optics.