Modified Quantum Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses a modified quantum harmonic oscillator with a Hamiltonian that includes a potential that is only finite for positive values of x and infinite otherwise. The speaker is asked to explain why only odd integers are allowed for the eigenenergies of the problem, and their best guess is that this is due to the potential's requirement for the wavefunction to be zero at x=0, which is only true for odd values. The other person confirms this explanation as correct.
Gabriel Maia
This is more of a conceptual question and I have not had the knowledge to solve it.

We're given a modified quantum harmonic oscillator. Its hamiltonian is

H=[itex]\frac{P^{2}}{2m}[/itex]+V(x)

where V(x)=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex]\omega^{2}x^{2}[/itex] for x[itex]\geq[/itex]0 and V(x)=[itex]\infty[/itex] otherwise.

I'm asked to justify in terms of the parity of the quantum problem eigenfunctions why only odd integers n are allowed for the eigenenergies of the problem E=(n+1/2)[itex]\hbar\omega[/itex]

I have not a clue... well... actually my best guess was that the given potential impose the condition that the wavefunction is zero at x=0 and this is only the case for the odd ones. I'm confident about it but I could not find a problem like this anywhere to check my answer.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is exactly it well done.

attachment.php?attachmentid=62931&stc=1&d=1381812730.png

Attachments

• homod.png
    homod.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 663
Thank you for the validation :)

Related to Modified Quantum Harmonic Oscillator

1. What is a modified quantum harmonic oscillator?

A modified quantum harmonic oscillator is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a quantum mechanical system. It is similar to a classical harmonic oscillator, but with modifications that take into account the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. How is the modified quantum harmonic oscillator different from the classical harmonic oscillator?

The modified quantum harmonic oscillator differs from the classical harmonic oscillator in that it takes into account the discrete energy levels and quantized properties of a quantum system. This results in different equations and behaviors compared to the classical model.

3. What are the applications of the modified quantum harmonic oscillator?

The modified quantum harmonic oscillator has applications in various fields such as quantum chemistry, solid state physics, and quantum computing. It is used to model the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.

4. How is the modified quantum harmonic oscillator solved?

The modified quantum harmonic oscillator can be solved using mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory and the variational method. These methods involve approximating the solutions to the Schrödinger equation and can provide accurate results for simple systems.

5. What are the limitations of the modified quantum harmonic oscillator model?

Although the modified quantum harmonic oscillator is a useful model, it has limitations. It assumes a linear potential, which may not accurately describe real-world systems. It also does not take into account the effects of relativity, which may be important for high-energy systems.