Module Over a Division Ring - Blyth Theorem 1.1, Part 4

In summary, Peter proves that if ##R## is a division ring and ##\lambda x = 0_M## with ##\lambda \neq 0_R## then we have that ##x = 0_M##. However, he still wonders why this logic bothers him.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading T. S. Blyth's book "Module Theory: An Approach to Linear Algebra" ... ... and am currently focussed on Chapter 1: Modules, Vector Spaces and Algebras ... ...

I need help with an aspect of Theorem 1.1 part 4 ...

Theorem 1.1 in Blyth reads as follows:
?temp_hash=130091d5b5e518dfcff28c7ba4b6c3d1.png

In the above text, in part 4 of the Theorem we read:" ... ... when ##R## is a division ring

(4) ##\lambda x = 0_M## implies ##\lambda = 0_R## or ##x = 0_M## ... ... "Blyth proves that if ##R## is a division ring and ##\lambda x = 0_M## with ##\lambda \neq 0_R## then we have that ##x = 0_M## ... ...But ... ... Blyth does not show that if ##R## is a division ring and ##\lambda x = 0_M## with ##x \neq 0_M## then we have that ##\lambda = 0_R## ... ...Can someone please help me to prove this ...

Peter

Attachments

• Blyth - Theorem 1.1.png
    Blyth - Theorem 1.1.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,198
Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
Contrapositive.

Sorry Micromass ... I do not follow you ...

Can you explain what you mean more explicitly ... ?

My apologies for not following you ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Hi Micromass ... I understand the meaning of "contrapositive" ... but fail to see exactly how it applies to the problem that I posed ...

Can you be more explicit in what you mean regarding the specific problem ...

Peter

Come on, think a bit about it. You answered merely 6 minutes after me. I'm not here to spoonfeed you the answer.

Proof of (4).
Case 1: ##\lambda = 0_R## ##\checkmark## by (2)
Case 2: ##\lambda \neq 0_R## - see Blyth's proof

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
Proof of (4).
Case 1: ##\lambda = 0_R## ##\checkmark## by (2)
Case 2: ##\lambda \neq 0_R## - see Blyth's proof
Well ... thanks fresh_42 ... that is an easy resolution to the issue ...

BUT ... still reflecting and wondering about Case 1 ...

... indeed ... does ##( 0_R x = 0_M )## ...

... imply (or mean) that ...

##( \lambda x = 0_M \text{ and } x \neq 0_M \Longrightarrow \lambda 0_R )##

is true ...But why exactly ... ?(Not quite sure why this logic bothers me ...)

Peter

Last edited:
Thanks for th
Math Amateur said:
Well ... thanks fresh_42 ... that is an easy resolution to the issue ...

BUT ... still reflecting and wondering about Case 1 ...

... indeed ... does ##( 0_R x = 0_M )## ...

... imply (or mean) that ...

##( \lambda x = 0_M \text{ and } x \neq 0_M \Longrightarrow \lambda 0_R )##

is true ...But why exactly ... ?(Not quite sure why this logic bothers me ...)

Peter

micromass said:
Contrapositive.

micromass said:
Contrapositive.
Thanks for the hint, micromass ...

in (4) Blyth has shown the following:

##( \lambda x = 0_M \text{ and } \lambda \neq 0_R ) \longrightarrow (x = 0_M)## ... ... ... (1)

So ... contrapositive of (1) is as follows:

##\neg ( x = 0_M) \longrightarrow \neg ( \lambda x = 0_M \text{ and } \lambda \neq 0_R )##

But ... how do I progress from here ...

Can someone help further ...?

Peter

We have ##\lambda x = 0_M## as a fact.
(2) is needed to show that ##\lambda = 0_R## is a solution at all.
Since there are only the two possibilities for ##\lambda## - either being zero or not - and the first solves the condition according to (2), it is sufficient to consider the other case, ##\lambda \neq 0_R##.

You may write the whole thing as:

##[\lambda x = 0_M] ##
##= \; (\lambda x = 0_M) \, ∧ \, \text{ (true) }##
##= \; (\lambda x = 0_M) \, ∧ \, [(\lambda = 0_R)\, ∨ \, (\lambda \neq 0_R)]##
##= \; [(\lambda x = 0_M) \, ∧ \, (\lambda = 0_R)] \, ∨ \, [(\lambda x = 0_M) \, ∧ \, (\lambda \neq 0_R)]##

→ (now I use (2), i.e. if ##\lambda = 0_R## is true then ##\lambda x = 0_M## is also true)

##= \; (\lambda = 0_R)\, ∨ \, [(\lambda x = 0_M) \, ∧ \, (\lambda \neq 0_R)]##

Therefore if ##(\lambda = 0_R) = \text{ (true) }## we are done and we may ask when ##[(\lambda x = 0_M) \, ∧ \, (\lambda \neq 0_R)]## will be true without ##(\lambda = 0_R)## being true, i.e. ##(\lambda \neq 0_R)##. Now Blyth has shown

$$[(\lambda x = 0_M) = \text{ (true) }] \,⇔\, [(\lambda = 0_R)=\text{ (true) }]\, ∨ \, [((\lambda x = 0_M) \, ∧ \, (\lambda \neq 0_R)) \,=\, \text{ (true) }]\, \overset{Blyth}⇒\, [(\lambda = 0_R)=\text{ (true) }]\, ∨ \, \; [(x=0_M) \,=\, \text{ (true) }]$$

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
Thanks for that fresh_42 ... most helpful ...

Much appreciate your assistance ...

Peter

1. What is a module over a division ring?

A module over a division ring is a generalization of the concept of a vector space over a field. It is a set with two operations - addition and scalar multiplication - that satisfies certain properties, such as being closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and having an identity element for scalar multiplication. The division ring provides the "scalars" for the module, and the module itself can be thought of as a generalized vector space.

2. What is Blyth Theorem 1.1, Part 4?

Blyth Theorem 1.1, Part 4 is a specific theorem in the field of module theory, which states that every module over a division ring is free. This means that every module can be expressed as a direct sum of copies of the division ring, and that any two bases of the module have the same cardinality.

3. How is Blyth Theorem 1.1, Part 4 proved?

Blyth Theorem 1.1, Part 4 is typically proved using induction on the dimension of the module. The key idea is to show that any module of dimension n can be generated by n elements, and then use this fact to construct a basis for the module. This process is repeated until all elements of the module are accounted for, thus proving that the module is free.

4. What are some applications of Blyth Theorem 1.1, Part 4?

Blyth Theorem 1.1, Part 4 has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and representation theory. It can also be used to prove other theorems in module theory, such as the structure theorem for finitely generated modules over a division ring.

5. Can Blyth Theorem 1.1, Part 4 be extended to other structures?

Yes, Blyth Theorem 1.1, Part 4 can be extended to other structures, such as modules over rings or algebras. However, the theorem may not hold in these more general cases, as the properties of a division ring - such as every non-zero element having a multiplicative inverse - may not hold for other structures.