Molar absorption coefficient of Catechol

In summary, The person is looking for the molar absorption coefficient of Catechol, but has been unable to find it through internet research and searching library books. They have not yet asked librarians for help and are doubtful of finding the value due to its specificity. They plan to try asking librarians for help tomorrow.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone

Homework Statement

I'm looking for the molar absorption coefficient of Catechol but I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help me out? I searched the internet as well as some books we have in our library, but I wasn't able to find it. Thanks for you help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you asked librarians for help? They often know sources you would never think about.

No, I didn't do that, though I doubt they have a clue at our library at university. That value I'm looking for looks so specific, I even doubt to find anything. I wonder even why they give us such a compound during the practical training :D. I thought maybe someone got a source for this, but seems not like that's the case. I will try tomorrow then at the library.

Related to Molar absorption coefficient of Catechol

What is the molar absorption coefficient of Catechol?

The molar absorption coefficient of Catechol is a measure of the ability of this compound to absorb light at a specific wavelength. It is often denoted as ε or εm and is expressed in units of M-1cm-1.

How is the molar absorption coefficient of Catechol determined?

The molar absorption coefficient of Catechol is determined experimentally by measuring the absorbance of a known concentration of Catechol solution at a specific wavelength. The absorbance values are then used to calculate the molar absorption coefficient using the Beer-Lambert Law, which relates absorbance to the concentration and path length of the solution.

What factors can affect the molar absorption coefficient of Catechol?

The molar absorption coefficient of Catechol can be affected by several factors, including the solvent used, the pH of the solution, and the temperature. These factors can alter the electronic environment of the molecule, leading to changes in its ability to absorb light.

Why is the molar absorption coefficient of Catechol important in analytical chemistry?

The molar absorption coefficient of Catechol is important in analytical chemistry because it is used to determine the concentration of Catechol in a solution through spectrophotometric analysis. By knowing the molar absorption coefficient, the absorbance of a solution can be converted into a concentration value, allowing for accurate quantification of Catechol.

Can the molar absorption coefficient of Catechol be used to identify this compound?

No, the molar absorption coefficient of Catechol cannot be used to identify this compound. While it can be used to determine the concentration of Catechol in a solution, it does not provide information about the chemical structure of the compound. Other techniques, such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, are needed for identification purposes.