Balmer Absorption Lines in Different Temperature Stars

• I
  • Thread starter Albertgauss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Absorption
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for real images of strong and weak Balmer absorption lines for a 10,000° Kelvin star and for much colder or hotter stars. The speaker suggests searching for "stellar absorption spectra" in google images to find the desired images. They also inquire about giving credit for the images.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Balmer strong weak absorption lines
Hi all

I couldn't find on the web anywhere but what I'm looking for is a real image of strong Balmer absorption lines for a 10,000° Kelvin star and also a real image of a weak Balmer absorption lines for both a much colder or hotter star that shows how the absorption lines are weak. Does anybody know a resource that may have some images like this? It's for presentation I'm giving.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I can't find a high resolution image, but you're looking for something like this:
719841-13-5ITQ1.png

You can see that the absorption lines for hot stars (near the top) are typically weaker than those for cooler stars (bottom). You can find plenty of images like this by searching for "stellar absorption spectra" in google images.

Yes, perfect. I can use that. Is there credit to be given somewhere or is it commons?

Albertgauss said:
Yes, perfect. I can use that. Is there credit to be given somewhere or is it commons?
Oof. I didn't think to check. My apologies.

1. What is Balmer Absorption?

Balmer Absorption is a phenomenon in which atoms absorb specific wavelengths of light, resulting in dark lines in a continuous spectrum. This is due to the excitation of electrons in the atom, causing them to jump to higher energy levels.

2. What are some examples of Balmer Absorption?

Some common examples of Balmer Absorption include the dark lines seen in the spectrum of the sun, stars, and other celestial bodies. It can also be observed in laboratory experiments using gas discharge tubes.

3. How is Balmer Absorption different from Balmer Emission?

Balmer Absorption occurs when atoms absorb light, while Balmer Emission happens when atoms emit light. In Balmer Emission, electrons in the atom return to lower energy levels, releasing energy in the form of light.

4. What is the significance of Balmer Absorption in astronomy?

Balmer Absorption lines are used by astronomers to study the composition and temperature of celestial objects. By analyzing the specific wavelengths of light that are absorbed, scientists can determine the elements present in a star or galaxy.

5. How does Balmer Absorption relate to the Bohr model of the atom?

The Bohr model of the atom explains the energy levels of electrons in an atom. Balmer Absorption is a direct result of electrons transitioning between these energy levels. The specific wavelengths of light absorbed correspond to the difference in energy between the levels.