Molar Heat Capacity: Find Value of k

In summary: What is the value of n?In summary, the problem involves a diatomic ideal gas being heated at constant volume and then at constant pressure. The molar heat capacity for the whole process is given as kR and we need to find the value of k. Using the gas laws, we can determine that the final temperature is three times the initial temperature. The heat transferred in the first step is given by nCvΔT and in the second step by nCpΔT. By adding these values and dividing by the net temperature change, we can find the molar heat capacity as (2.5R + 3.5R)/3T = 6R/3T = 2R/T.
shrutiphysics

Homework Statement

A diatomic ideal gas is heated at constant volume until its pressure is doubled. It is again heated at constant pressure until its volume is doubled. The molar heat capacity for the whole process is kR. Find the value of k.

Homework Equations

ans is k=19/6.
p/t=constant, v/t=constant(gas laws)
ea7e02c5813c44024f10d66ca94f37b1.png
. [c][/p]=3.5,[c][/v]=2.5

3. The attempt at a solutioN
let initial temperature be T.Then after 1st step it becomes 2T and after 2nd step it becomes 4T.(gas laws).
Q=2.5*(2T-T)+3.5*(4T-T)
ΔT=3T(is it correct?)
this is all i can think.please help.i am not getting answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
shrutiphysics said:

Homework Statement

A diatomic ideal gas is heated at constant volume until its pressure is doubled. It is again heated at constant pressure until its volume is doubled. The molar heat capacity for the whole process is kR. Find the value of k.

Homework Equations

ans is k=19/6.

let initial temperature be T. Then after 1st step it becomes 2T and after 2nd step it becomes 4T. (gas laws).
Q=2.5*(2T-T)+3.5*(4T-T)
This doesn't make sense unitwise. Also, you might want to rethink the second ##\Delta T##.
ΔT=3T(is it correct?)

shrutiphysics said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

ans is k=19/6.

let initial temperature be T.Then after 1st step it becomes 2T and after 2nd step it becomes 4T.(gas laws).
Q=2.5*(2T-T)+3.5*(4T-T)
ΔT=3T(is it correct?)
this is all i can think.please help.i am not getting answer.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the final temperature is three times the initial one, ΔT=3T is correct. The heat transferred is C n ΔT, but the temperature changes from 2T to 4T in the second step. (And nR is missing from your equation)

Likes shrutiphysics
Yes, the final temperature is three times the initial one, ΔT=3T is correct. The heat transferred is C n ΔT, but the temperature changes from 2T to 4T in the second step. (And nR is missing from your equation)[/QUOTe
ehild said:
Q=2.5*(2T-T)+3.5*(4T-T)
ΔT=3T(is it correct?)
i am not getting the answer in any way.am i using wrong equation?
and how can i find nR?
if anyone knows please guide me to solution as i am stuck badly.

Show your work please.
What is the heat transferred in the first step?
What is the heat transferred in the second step?

ehild said:
Show your work please.
What is the heat transferred in the first step?
What is the heat transferred in the second step?
upto my knowledge when i use molar specific heat cp and cv then
heat transferred first step=ncvΔT=2.5*T(temp changes from T to 2T)
2nd step=ncpΔT=3.5*T(temp changes from 2T TO 4T)
And finally to find out molar heat capacity i added both the values and divided it by net temperature change i.e 3T.
where am i going wrong?

You said that nCv=2,5 and nCp=3.5. Do you really think that the heat capacities are dimensionless numbers?

ehild said:
You said that nCv=2,5 and nCp=3.5. Do you really think that the heat capacities are dimensionless numbers?
Oh sorry i forgot...nCv=2,5R and nCp=3R. R=GAS CONSTANT

shrutiphysics said:
Oh sorry i forgot...nCv=2,5R and nCp=3R. R=GAS CONSTANT
Cv=2.5R and Cp=3.5R. And Q= C n ΔT.

What is molar heat capacity and how is it measured?

Molar heat capacity is a physical property that measures the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one mole of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is measured experimentally by measuring the change in temperature of a substance when a known amount of heat is added to it.

What is the formula for calculating molar heat capacity?

The formula for molar heat capacity is C = q/nΔT, where C is the molar heat capacity, q is the heat added, n is the number of moles of the substance, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What is the value of the constant k in the equation for molar heat capacity?

The constant k in the equation for molar heat capacity is known as the proportionality constant and its value depends on the units used for heat, temperature, and amount of substance. For example, in the SI system, the value of k is 8.314 J/mol∙K.

How is molar heat capacity different from specific heat capacity?

Molar heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one mole of a substance, while specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance. Molar heat capacity is a molar quantity, while specific heat capacity is a mass-based quantity.

Why is molar heat capacity important in thermodynamics?

Molar heat capacity is important in thermodynamics because it helps us understand how a substance responds to changes in temperature. It is also used in calculating the amount of energy needed to heat or cool a substance, and in determining the heat capacity of a system in thermodynamic calculations.