Moment of inertia and rotational kinetic energy prob

In summary, a spool of wire with mass m and radius r is unwound under a constant force F. Assuming the spool is a uniform solid cylinder that does not slip, the acceleration of the center of mass is 4F/3m. The net torque equation is \tau=I\alpha=Fr-fr, where friction acts below the center of mass and the pulling force acts above the center of mass, resulting in opposite directions for the torques.
pb23me

Homework Statement

A spool of wire mass m and radius r is unwound under a constant force F. Assuming that the spool is a uniform solid cylinder that does not slip, show that the acceleration of the center of the mass is 4F/3m

Homework Equations

F+f=ma
f=ma-F
[itex]\tau[/itex] =I[itex]\alpha[/itex]=Fr-fr

The Attempt at a Solution

My instructor worked this out in class and got the answer,but there was one thing that i didnt understand and hope someone can clarify this for me. When he did the force equation he put F+f=ma because friction and the force applied are in the same direction.Then when he did the net torque equation [itex]\tau[/itex]=I[itex]\alpha[/itex]=Fr-fr now it seems he switched the direction of friction? The problem worked out correctly this way but i don't understand why the direction of friction changed?

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's because friction acts below the center of mass (CM) while the pulling force acts above the CM. Thus the forces point in the same direction (they add), but the torques about the CM subtract because one would tend to rotate the spool clockwise and the other counterclockwise.

wow i never even thought of that...thank you

Related to Moment of inertia and rotational kinetic energy prob

1. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass of the object.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

While mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion, moment of inertia is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. In other words, it takes into account not only the mass of an object, but also how that mass is distributed around its axis of rotation.

3. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a point mass is calculated by multiplying the mass by the square of the distance from the axis of rotation. For more complex objects, the moment of inertia can be calculated by using integrals to sum up the contributions of each infinitesimal element of mass.

4. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and rotational kinetic energy?

The moment of inertia and rotational kinetic energy are directly related. The greater the moment of inertia of an object, the more energy is required to rotate it at a given angular velocity. This is because the moment of inertia represents the object's resistance to rotational motion.

5. How is the moment of inertia affected by changes in the axis of rotation?

The moment of inertia is affected by the axis of rotation. When an object is rotated around a different axis, its moment of inertia will change. For example, a thin rod has a smaller moment of inertia when rotated around its end compared to when it is rotated around its center. This is because the mass is distributed further from the axis of rotation in the latter case, resulting in a larger moment of inertia.