Moment of Inertia of a turntable

In summary, the moment of inertia of the putty/turntable system is found by using the parallel-axis theorem and considering the contributions from both the turntable and the putty. Using the correct values for the masses and distances, the moment of inertia is calculated to be (5/3)mR^2, resulting in the expected angular velocity of the system after the collision.
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

A uniform circular turntable of mass 2m and radius R is at rest in space. Koko throws a lump of putty of mass m and speed v toward the edge of the turntable so that it sticks at the extreme edge of the turntable at R.

Using conservation of L, show that the angular velocity ω of the putty/turntable system after the collision is [tex]\omega=\frac{2v}{5R}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Parallel-axis theorem. Conservation of angular momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the center of mass of the putty/turntable system to be R/3. I set my origin to be there. For the initial angular momentum, that is before the putty sticks to the turntable, I get mv2R/3.

For the final angular momentum I get the moment of inertia times the angular velocity. My problem is in determining what the right moment of inertia is.

Why can't I just use the parallel axis theorem applied to the putty and the turntable to find the moment of inertia? I've done mR^2 for the putty, plus 4/9mR^2 by the parallel axis theorem, plus another mr^2 from the disk(since it's mass is 2, the half cancels) plus 1/9 mR^2 by the parallel axis theorem?

So why is this wrong though?

Physics news on Phys.org
Raziel2701 said:
Why can't I just use the parallel axis theorem applied to the putty and the turntable to find the moment of inertia? I've done mR^2 for the putty, plus 4/9mR^2 by the parallel axis theorem, plus another mr^2 from the disk(since it's mass is 2, the half cancels) plus 1/9 mR^2 by the parallel axis theorem?

So why is this wrong though?
You have the right idea but simply made a few mistakes. For the turntable, you have
$$I_1 = I_{1,\rm cm} + Md_1^2 = \frac 12 MR^2 + M(R/3)^2 = \frac{11}{18} MR^2$$ where ##M## is the mass of the turntable. Setting ##M=2m##, you get ##I_1 = (11/9)mR^2##. You used the wrong mass in the ##md^2## term of the parallel-axis theorem.

For the putty, as you're modeling it as a point particle, you have ##I_{2,\rm cm} = 0##, not ##mR^2## as you assumed, so its contribution to the moment of inertia of the system is just ##I_2 = md_2^2 = m(2R/3)^2 = (4/9) mR^2##.

The moment of inertia of the system about its center of mass is therefore ##I=I_1+I_2 = (5/3)mR^2##. Using your value of ##L##, you'll get the expected result for the angular velocity.

What is the moment of inertia of a turntable?

The moment of inertia of a turntable is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotation. It depends on the mass distribution and shape of the turntable.

Why is the moment of inertia important?

The moment of inertia is important because it affects the rotation and stability of the turntable. A higher moment of inertia means it takes more force to start or stop the rotation, leading to smoother and more stable playback.

How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated using the formula I = mr², where m is the mass of the turntable and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass element.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a turntable?

The moment of inertia is affected by the shape and distribution of the turntable's mass. A larger and heavier turntable will have a higher moment of inertia, while a more compact and evenly distributed turntable will have a lower moment of inertia.

How can the moment of inertia of a turntable be changed?

The moment of inertia can be changed by altering the mass distribution of the turntable. This can be achieved by adding weight to certain areas or changing the shape of the turntable. Additionally, using different materials with varying densities can also impact the moment of inertia.