Moment of Inertia with varying distance from Centre of Mass

In summary: I am sorry, I am not clear. Can you please clarify?The mass of each strip is irrelevant, as long as you are consistent in your use of "m".
Ang09
Homework Statement
A T-shaped card is made of two pieces of thin cardboard sticked together with tape. Each of this cardboard is 0.28 m by 0.04 m. There are several holes along the vertical portion of the T-shape. The T-shaped card is pivoted one of the holes along the vertical portion of the T-shape.

In term of h (where h is the distance between the pivot and the centre of mass of the T-shaped card), what is the moment of inertia of the T-shaped card ?
Relevant Equations
Moment of inertia of a thin card I = 1/12 m(l^2 + b^2) where l and b are length and breadth of card
I = Icom + md^2
T shaped Pendulum.JPG

h = d1 + 0.08
d1 = h - 0.08

d2 = h + 0.08

I of the vertical portion
= 1/12 m (l^2 + b^2) + md1^2
= 1/12 m (0.28^2 + 0.04^2) + m(h - 0.08)^2

I of the horizontal portion
= 1/12 m (l^2 + b^2) + md2^2
= 1/12 m (0.28^2 + 0.04^2) + m(h + 0.08)^2

The moment of inertia for the whole T-shape about the pivot (of distance h away from centre of mass) =
= 1/12 m (0.28^2 + 0.04^2) + m(h - 0.08)^2 + 1/12 m (0.28^2 + 0.04^2) + m(h + 0.08)^2
= 1/6 m (0.28^2 + 0.04^2) + 2m(h^2 + 0.08^2)
= 2mh^2 + 0.02613 m

Wondering if my calculation is correct ?

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
How are you defining d1 and d2? Where does the 0.08 come from?

Likes Delta2
d1 is the distance between pivot and centre of mass of the vertical portion
d2 is the distance between pivot and centre of mass of the horizontal portion
(Refer to picture)

The 0.08 m is derived based on the diagram to relate the centre of mass of the vertical and horizontal portion to the pivot.

T-shaped pendulum.JPG

Likes Delta2
The computation of the centre of mass is based on something that i search online.
[Link deleted by the Mentors]

T-shaped pendulum1.jpg

My computation was:-
COM of the horizontal part y1: 0.02 m from the base of the horizontal part
COM of the vertical part y2: (0.14 + 0.04=) 0.18 m from the base of the horizontal part

COM of the T-shaped pendulum
= (Area1 * y1 + Area2 * y2) / (Area1 + Area2)
= (0.28*0.04 *0.02 + 0.28*0.04 *0.018) / (0.28*0.04 + 0.28*0.04)
= 0.10 m
Hence it is 0.08 m away from both of the COM of the horizontal and vertical part.

I guess it may be wrong. May I ask what is the center of mass of the two strips?

By the way, is the computation steps for the moment of inertia of T-shaped pendulum correct? i.e. if i can find the correct center of mass, would the steps above allow me to find the moment of inertia of the T-shaped pendulum in terms of h?

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Ang09 said:
The computation of the centre of mass is based on something that i search online.
[Link deleted by the Mentors]

View attachment 284264
My computation was:-
COM of the horizontal part y1: 0.02 m from the base of the horizontal part
COM of the vertical part y2: (0.14 + 0.04=) 0.18 m from the base of the horizontal part

COM of the T-shaped pendulum
= (Area1 * y1 + Area2 * y2) / (Area1 + Area2)
= (0.28*0.04 *0.02 + 0.28*0.04 *0.018) / (0.28*0.04 + 0.28*0.04)
= 0.10 m
Hence it is 0.08 m away from both of the COM of the horizontal and vertical part.

I guess it may be wrong. May I ask what is the center of mass of the two strips?

By the way, is the computation steps for the moment of inertia of T-shaped pendulum correct? i.e. if i can find the correct center of mass, would the steps above allow me to find the moment of inertia of the T-shaped pendulum in terms of h?

Thank you for your advice in advance.
I am very sorry - I was writing rubbish.
Let me try again.. give me a few minutes.

Yes, your calculation looks ok, but the question as posted does not define m.
Should it be the mass of the whole shape or the mass of each strip?

Last edited:
Sorry.. i am not clear in my working..
  • the m in the 0.02 m and 0.18 m are the unit (metre).
  • the m in the moment of inertia is the mass of each strip.

Ang09 said:
[*]the m in the moment of inertia is the mass of each strip.
Yes, but in post #1 we are asked to find an MoI without being given a mass, neither as "m" nor as a numerical quantity. Does the original question say the mass of each strip is m, that the mass of the whole shape is m, or are you left to make something up?

The original ques did not state the mass of the t-shape pendulum nor the mass of each cardboard. Only inform that the two cardboard are identical/similar. So I assume that each cardboard's mass is m.
Need that when I relate the MoI of the pendulum to its period.

Ang09 said:
The original ques did not state the mass of the t-shape pendulum nor the mass of each cardboard. Only inform that the two cardboard are identical/similar. So I assume that each cardboard's mass is m.
Need that when I relate the MoI of the pendulum to its period.
Ok.
For finding the period, it should not matter whether you take m as the mass of each or as the combined mass, provided you are consistent.

1. What is the moment of inertia with varying distance from centre of mass?

The moment of inertia with varying distance from centre of mass is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It takes into account the distribution of mass around the object's centre of mass and how that affects its rotational inertia.

2. How is moment of inertia with varying distance from centre of mass calculated?

The moment of inertia with varying distance from centre of mass is calculated using the formula I = ∫r² dm, where r is the distance from the centre of mass and dm is the differential mass element.

3. How does the distance from the centre of mass affect the moment of inertia?

The further the mass is from the centre of mass, the larger the moment of inertia will be. This is because the mass has a greater lever arm and thus a greater effect on the object's rotational inertia.

4. What is the significance of moment of inertia with varying distance from centre of mass?

The moment of inertia with varying distance from centre of mass is an important concept in rotational dynamics. It helps us understand how different objects will behave when subjected to rotational forces and how their distribution of mass affects their stability and ability to rotate.

5. How can the moment of inertia with varying distance from centre of mass be applied in real-world scenarios?

The moment of inertia with varying distance from centre of mass is used in various engineering and physics applications, such as designing vehicles with optimal stability and maneuverability, analyzing the motion of celestial bodies, and understanding the behavior of rotating machinery.