Moment of intertia, lagrangian, etc

The best way to understand this is to draw a diagram of the situation and label all the angles involved. This will help you visualize which trig function to use. As for your interests, that's great! But learning the fundamentals of mechanics and classical physics will still be very useful in those fields.
Shafikae
A uniform ladder of mass M and length 2L is leaning aainst a frictionless vertical wall with its feet on a frictionless horizontal floor. Initially the stationary ladder is released at an angle [tex]\theta_{0}[/tex] = 60o to the floor. Assume that the gravitation field g acts vertically downward.

1) Show that the moment of intertia of the ladder is about its midpoint is I = (1/3)ML2

2) Derive the Lagrangian of the system.

3) Derive the equations of motions using the Lagrangian.

4) Find the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] at which the ladder loses contact with the vertical wall.

Ive been reading my textbooks but there arent any similar examples for me to relate to.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shafikae said:
A uniform ladder of mass M and length 2L is leaning aainst a frictionless vertical wall with its feet on a frictionless horizontal floor. Initially the stationary ladder is released at an angle [tex]\theta_{0}[/tex] = 60o to the floor. Assume that the gravitation field g acts vertically downward.

1) Show that the moment of intertia of the ladder is about its midpoint is I = (1/3)ML2

2) Derive the Lagrangian of the system.

3) Derive the equations of motions using the Lagrangian.

4) Find the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] at which the ladder loses contact with the vertical wall.

Ive been reading my textbooks but there arent any similar examples for me to relate to.

For (1), you need to calculate the moment of inertia or a rod: [itex]I=cmr^2[/itex] where c is some number. Methods of calculating the moment of inertia of any object should be found in your 1st year physics textbooks.
For (2), you have a constant-length rod that is falling from some initial angle. Sounds like it would require rotational kinetic energy, [itex]T=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/itex], added to the potential energy for your Lagrangian: [itex]L=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2+V[/itex].
For (3) and (4), once you have (2), you should be able to do these two.

I was able to obtain part 1.
and concerning part 2, the potential would just be MgL or in our case 2MgL?

Shafikae said:
I was able to obtain part 1.
and concerning part 2, the potential would just be MgL or in our case 2MgL?

While the latter has the appropriate form, you are not taking into account the angle for which this ladder is leaning. Multiply the above by the appropriate trigonometric function, and there's your potential.

I don't understand. Do u mean that the potential V = 2MgLSin60 ?

Shafikae said:
I don't understand. Do u mean that the potential V = 2MgLSin60 ?

I wouldn't necessarily put [itex]\theta_0[/itex] in there, I would use just plain [itex]\theta[/itex]. As for the actual trigonometric function, it completely depends on where the angle is being measured, but it would be either cosine or sine.

and would it be negative potential since the gravity is acting vertically downward?

and what is meant by the equations of motion?

Shafikae said:
and what is meant by the equations of motion?

How far into Lagrangian mechanics have you studied in class? The equations of motion are the reason for utilizing Lagrangian mechanics. Have you seen this equation:

[tex]
\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}}\right)-\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}=0
[/tex]

yes I've seen that before.

Well if you let [itex]\dot{q}=\dot[\theta][/itex] and [itex]q=\theta[/itex], you take the respective derivatives of your Lagrangian and find that you will have something of the order

[tex]
m\ddot{q}=f(q,\dot{q},t)
[/tex]

where [itex]f(q,\dot{q},t)[/itex] is something that will depend on coordinates, velocities, and possibly time. This is your equation of motion.

so its only in terms of [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex] ? we don't do it also in terms of the length of the rod/ladder?

Shafikae said:
so its only in terms of [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex] ? we don't do it also in terms of the length of the rod/ladder?

More than likely those constants will be factors in that right hand side, however the more important factor in determining the acceleration would be the position and velocity of the rod, that is [itex]\theta[/itex] and [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex].

Also, I don't think I mentioned this part, but in the kinetic energy term, [tex]\omega=\dot{\theta}[/tex]. If you don't set these equal to each other, you won't get the answer necessary.

ahhhh ok got it! How do I determine if we will be using Cos or Sin? Mechanics and Classical Physics arent my thing, I am more interested in atomic and electronics

Shafikae said:
ahhhh ok got it! How do I determine if we will be using Cos or Sin? Mechanics and Classical Physics arent my thing, I am more interested in atomic and electronics

You'll determine which trig function to use by using trigonometry; it entirely depends on where your angle is being measured from.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. Objects with a larger moment of inertia require more torque to rotate at the same angular acceleration.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia is often compared to mass, as they both involve the measurement of an object's resistance to motion. However, mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion, while moment of inertia is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion.

3. What is the Lagrangian in physics?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic energy and potential energy of the system. The equations of motion can be derived from the Lagrangian using the principle of least action.

4. How is the Lagrangian used in physics?

The Lagrangian is used to analyze the motion of a system by finding the path that minimizes the action, or the integral of the Lagrangian over time. This approach is useful for systems with complex constraints or for finding the equations of motion for non-conservative systems.

5. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and the Lagrangian?

The moment of inertia appears in the Lagrangian as a term related to the rotational kinetic energy of a system. It is also used in solving for the equations of motion for rotating systems. In some cases, the moment of inertia can be used to simplify the Lagrangian and make it easier to solve for the equations of motion.