Moment of intertia of a W figure

In summary, Homework Statement A W figure.each of the 4 arms of the W has mass M, length L, and are at right angles.axis is in the plane of W, passing through the middle, vertically.Homework Equations i used the result I=M(L sinθ)²/3 for a rod inclined at angle θ with the axis, and axis passing through edge, from a previous sum.The Attempt at a Solution in the figure i found out the MI only for the left part, so for the whole figure will be twice of that result, i.e. 5ML²/3.sin
arnab321

Homework Statement

A W figure.
each of the 4 arms of the W has mass M, length L, and are at right angles.
axis is in the plane of W, passing through the middle, vertically.

Homework Equations

i used the result I=M(L sinθ)²/3 for a rod inclined at angle θ with the axis, and axis passing through edge, from a previous sum

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=46275&stc=1&d=1334553599.png

in the figure i found out the MI only for the left part, so for the whole figure will be twice of that result, i.e. 5ML²/3

sinθ is 1/√2 here,
so i found out the MI for the leftmost rod through the edge, shifted its axis to the center of the W and added it to the MI of the second rod.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
hi arnab321! :smile:
arnab321 said:
so i found out the MI for the leftmost rod through the edge, shifted its axis to the center of the W and added it to the MI of the second rod.

i don't understand what you've done here :confused:

if you're intending to use the parallel axis theorem, you must start with the moment of inertia about an axis through the centre of mass

(btw, there is also a much easier way of doing it :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
hi arnab321! :smile:i don't understand what you've done here :confused:

if you're intending to use the parallel axis theorem, you must start with the moment of inertia about an axis through the centre of mass

(btw, there is also a much easier way of doing it :wink:)

wow nvr knew that this forum also has study material :eek:

well, what i was saying was that, the MI of leftmost rod about the grey line would be M(L sin 45)²/3 = M(L)²/6. this result was already derived from the CM of the rod, so i applied parallel axis theorem to shift that axis to a distance L/√2

(btw i really don't know if my attempt at this problem is correct or not because i posted the wrong question, whose ans. i don't know. anyways let me know)

still not completely following what you've done :confused:

you found the moment of inertia about the centre of mass was ML²/24, then you used the parallel axis theorem and added ML²/8, making ML²/6

did you then use the parallel axis theorem again, starting from the new axis, adding 4ML²/8, making 2ML²/3 ?

you can't do that, when you use the parallel axis theorem, you can only start from the centre of mass …

you must go back there, and add 9ML²/8, not ML²/8 + 4ML²/8 :wink:

tiny-tim said:
you can't do that, when you use the parallel axis theorem, you can only start from the centre of mass …

you must go back there, and add 9ML²/8, not ML²/8 + 4ML²/8 :wink:

oh, thanks!

now that you're clear about the parallel axis theorem, can you see that you could have got the same result simply by treating it as a straight line of length 4L (at 45°) ? :wink:

I kinda can't get how to do that transformation. I can see that W and that with one on its sides inverted, something like v^ will have the same MI as they are still at the same dist. from the axis.
but how to know that straightening that v^ into a rod of 4L will still have the same MI?

because all that matters (for the moment of inertia about the vertical axis) is the (horizontal) distance of each point from the axis, not how far along the axis it is …

so you can rearrange it in any way that preserves the distances :smile:

What is the moment of inertia of a W figure?

The moment of inertia of a W figure is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion around a specific axis. It takes into account the shape, mass, and distribution of mass of the figure.

How is the moment of inertia of a W figure calculated?

The moment of inertia of a W figure can be calculated by summing the individual moments of inertia of each component of the figure, using the parallel axis theorem if necessary. Alternatively, it can also be found using the formula I = mk^2, where m is the mass of the figure and k is the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a W figure?

The moment of inertia of a W figure is affected by the mass of the figure, the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation, and the shape of the figure. The more mass a figure has and the farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the higher the moment of inertia will be. The distribution of mass also plays a role, with more mass concentrated farther from the axis of rotation resulting in a higher moment of inertia.

How does the moment of inertia of a W figure relate to its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of a W figure determines how easily or difficult it is to rotate around a specific axis. A higher moment of inertia means more torque is required to produce the same angular acceleration as a figure with a lower moment of inertia.

How can the moment of inertia of a W figure be used in engineering and design?

The moment of inertia of a W figure is an important factor to consider in engineering and design, especially in structures that need to resist rotational forces. By understanding the moment of inertia, engineers can design more efficient and stable structures that can withstand applied forces and rotational motion.