Moment of intertia of wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the moment of inertia with respect to 8 rods attached to a wheel. The formula for the moment of inertia of the wheel is incorrect and the correct answer is (3m2/8 + m1) * r^2. However, the final result in the conversation may also contain a typo.
dannee

Homework Statement

i've attched a picture of the wheel, which need to calculate moment of intertia with respect to 8 rods.

i've tried to use stiener rule but it's not getting the answer,

moment of wheel is (m1*r^2)/2
moment of rod is (m2*r^2/3)

i use the rule i total = icm + mr^2

so it's 8*( (m1*r^2)/2 + (m2*r^2)/3 )

what am i missing?

Homework Equations

m1 = mass of wheel
m2 = mass of rod
r = length of rod

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• wheel.JPG
    wheel.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 358
Physics news on Phys.org
dannee said:
moment of wheel is (m1*r^2)/2
Revisit this formula.

so it's 8*( (m1*r^2)/2 + (m2*r^2)/3 )
There are 8 spokes but only 1 wheel.

that's right, 8 * 3(m2*r^2), i refer the moment of wheel is (m1*r^2)/2 and sum them,

but the correct answer is (3m2/8 + m1) * r^2

dannee said:
that's right, 8 * 3(m2*r^2), i refer the moment of wheel is (m1*r^2)/2 and sum them,
(1) Your formula for the moment of inertia of the wheel portion is incorrect.
(2) In your final result in post #1 you multiplied all terms by 8, thus counting the wheel 8 times.

but the correct answer is (3m2/8 + m1) * r^2
Double check that answer; looks like a typo.

Thank you for sharing your work and question. It seems like you are on the right track with using the parallel axis theorem (also known as the Steiner rule) to calculate the moment of inertia of the wheel with respect to the 8 rods. However, it looks like you may have made a mistake in your calculations. The moment of inertia of the wheel should be (m1*r^2)/2, but the moment of inertia of the rod should be (m2*r^2)/12 (not 3). This is because the rod is rotating around its end, not its center of mass, which changes the moment of inertia calculation.

So, the correct equation for the total moment of inertia would be:

I_total = I_cm + m1*r^2/2 + 8*m2*r^2/12

= I_cm + (m1 + 2*m2)*r^2/2

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

1. What is moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of an object is a measure of its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, but for objects rotating about an axis.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a wheel can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the wheel by the square of its radius. It is also affected by the distribution of mass within the wheel, with more mass located farther from the axis of rotation resulting in a larger moment of inertia.

3. Why is moment of inertia important for a wheel?

Moment of inertia is important for a wheel because it determines how easily the wheel can be set into rotational motion and how well it maintains its rotational motion. It is a crucial factor in the design and performance of wheels in vehicles and machinery.

4. How does moment of inertia affect the performance of a wheel?

A larger moment of inertia requires more torque to accelerate or decelerate the wheel. This can result in slower response times and more effort required to change the speed or direction of the wheel. A smaller moment of inertia allows for faster and more responsive movement.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a wheel be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a wheel can be changed by altering the mass and/or distribution of mass within the wheel. For example, adding weight to the rim of a bicycle wheel will increase its moment of inertia, while removing weight will decrease it.