Momentary Co-Moving Reference Frame in SR

In summary, the co-moving reference frame has basis vectors that are orthogonal to the timelike vector, and the four-acceleration is defined as the proper-time derivative of this velocity and has components (0,x,y,z) hence the dot product of these two vectors is zero.
Vitani1
TL;DR Summary
What are the basis vectors?
In SR, for the momentary co-moving reference frame, U (the velocity four vector) takes the form (1,0,0,0). I'm wondering whether the basis vectors associated with this velocity are zero or if the coefficients in front of the basis vectors are zero. In classical mechanics we would say that the coefficients in front of the basis vectors are zero. I ask because the four-acceleration is defined as the proper-time derivative of this velocity and has components (0,x,y,z) hence the dot product of these two vectors is zero like in classical mechanics which makes sense. I also ask this because I'm trying to develop a lorentz transformation that takes a vector U in some frame to the MCRF frame using the lorentz matrix and if I know which it is (components or basis vectors) that cause the last 3 components of the four-velocity to be zero it would save me a lot of work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vitani1 said:
Summary:: What are the basis vectors?

I'm wondering whether the basis vectors associated with this velocity are zero or if the coefficients in front of the basis vectors are zero.
Basis vectors must be linearly independent. So they cannot be zero.

Likes vanhees71 and Vitani1
Thank you... this is what I thought.

Likes Dale
There are technically an infinite number of possible basis vectors - as other posters have mentioned, the only real requirement for the basis vecotrs is that they are linearly independent.

There are also an infinite number of possible spatial vectors that have unit length and are orthogonal to the timelike vector <1,0,0,0>. However, for the Minkowskii metric -dt^2 + dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2, a convenient set of orthonormal spatial basis vectors ortohgonal to the vectors with components <1,0,0,0> are vectors with components <0,1,0,0>, <0,0,1,0>, <0,0,0,1>. Those are probably the vectors you are thinking of when you talk about "the" co-moving reference frame.

Note that I'm using geometrized units where c=1 for simplicity - otherwise <1,0,0,0> wouldn't be a unit length timelike vector.

Likes Vitani1

1. What is a momentary co-moving reference frame in special relativity?

A momentary co-moving reference frame in special relativity is a reference frame that is moving at a constant velocity with respect to an observer, and in which the observer measures the same speed of light in all directions. It is a frame of reference that is momentarily at rest with respect to the observer, and is used to describe the motion of objects in special relativity.

2. How is a momentary co-moving reference frame different from an inertial reference frame?

A momentary co-moving reference frame is similar to an inertial reference frame in that it is also moving at a constant velocity. However, it differs in that it is only momentarily at rest with respect to the observer, whereas an inertial reference frame is always at rest with respect to the observer.

3. Why is a momentary co-moving reference frame important in special relativity?

A momentary co-moving reference frame is important in special relativity because it allows us to accurately describe the motion of objects that are moving at high speeds. It is a useful tool for understanding the effects of time dilation and length contraction, and for making precise measurements in situations where the observer is also moving.

4. Can a momentary co-moving reference frame be used for objects that are accelerating?

No, a momentary co-moving reference frame can only be used for objects that are moving at a constant velocity. For objects that are accelerating, a non-inertial reference frame must be used.

5. How is a momentary co-moving reference frame related to the concept of relativity of simultaneity?

A momentary co-moving reference frame is closely related to the concept of relativity of simultaneity. In a momentary co-moving reference frame, events that are simultaneous in one frame of reference may not be simultaneous in another frame of reference that is moving at a different velocity. This is a result of the relativity of simultaneity, which states that the concept of simultaneity is relative and depends on the frame of reference of the observer.