Moments of inertia using parallel axis theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the moment of inertia of a homogenous thin plate about the x-axis. The solution involves using the parallel axis theorem and calculating the moment of inertia for two rectangles that make up the plate. However, there was an error in the calculation, as the formula used for the first rectangle was for area moment of inertia instead of mass moment of inertia. After correcting the formula, the correct answer is found to be 3.24, which is different from the answer given in the textbook.
TheRedDevil18

Homework Statement

The mass of a homogenous thin plate is 36kg. Determine it moment of inertia about the x axis
2vnqv5l.jpg

Homework Equations

Parallel axis theorem:
Ix = Ix' + d^2*m

The Attempt at a Solution

p = m/a
= 36/0.36 = 100

Because the density is homogenous, I found the mass of the first rectangle:
m = pa
= 100*0.24
= 24kg

Ix = Ix' + d^2*m (MOI for the first rectangle)
= 1/12*b*h^3 + d^2*m
= 1/12(0.4)(0.6)^3 + (0.3)^2(24)
= 2.1672

Ix = Ix' + d^2*m (MOI for the second rectangle)
= 1/12*b*h^3 + d^2*m
= 1/12(0.4)(0.3)^3 + (0.15)^2(12).....Mass of second rectangle = 36-24 = 12
= 0.27

Therefore MOI of the whole object = (MOI for the first rectangle) + (MOI for the second rectangle)
= 2.44

Problem is my textbook gives a total different answer which is 3.24. Please help, I am so confused

Physics news on Phys.org
TheRedDevil18 said:
1/12*b*h^3 + d^2*m

This expression does not make sense since the two terms have different units (the first has unit length^4 and the second mass*length^2). I believe you are missing an insertion of the density in the first term.

Oh yes, sorry. That should have been 1/12*m*h^2 + d^2*m. It now works out to 3.24. I mistakenly used the area moment of inertia formula instead of the mass moment of inertia formula. Thanks, :)

Related to Moments of inertia using parallel axis theorem

1. What is the parallel axis theorem and how does it relate to moments of inertia?

The parallel axis theorem states that the moment of inertia of a rigid body about any axis is equal to the moment of inertia about a parallel axis passing through the center of mass plus the product of the mass of the body and the square of the distance between the two axes. In other words, it allows us to calculate the moment of inertia of an object about an axis that is not passing through its center of mass.

2. How is the parallel axis theorem different from the perpendicular axis theorem?

The perpendicular axis theorem is a special case of the parallel axis theorem, where the two axes are perpendicular to each other. It is used to calculate the moment of inertia of a 2D object rotating about an axis perpendicular to its plane. The parallel axis theorem, on the other hand, can be applied to any axis of rotation.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia has units of mass multiplied by distance squared, such as kg·m² or g·cm². In the SI system, the unit of moment of inertia is kilogram square meter (kg·m²).

4. How do I calculate the moment of inertia using the parallel axis theorem?

To calculate the moment of inertia using the parallel axis theorem, you will need to know the moment of inertia of the object about its center of mass, the mass of the object, and the distance between the two axes. The formula is I = Icm + md², where I is the moment of inertia about the parallel axis, Icm is the moment of inertia about the center of mass, m is the mass of the object, and d is the distance between the two axes.

5. Can the parallel axis theorem be applied to all types of objects?

Yes, the parallel axis theorem can be applied to any type of object, as long as the moment of inertia about the center of mass is known. This includes both 2D and 3D objects, as well as objects with irregular shapes. It is a useful tool in engineering and physics for calculating the moment of inertia of complex systems.