How Is Force Calculated in a Tennis Serve?

In summary, the tennis player returned the ball at 25m/s after making contact for 0.5 seconds with a force exerted on the ball of 55 m/s. The mass of the ball did not change.
AnomalyCoder

Homework Statement

A tennis player returns a 30m/s serve back at 25 m/s after making contact with the ball for .5 seconds. If the ball has a mass of .20kg, what is the force exerted on the ball?

Homework Equations

I = Force[tex]\Delta[/tex]Time, or essentially the [tex]\Delta[/tex]Momentum = Impulse
P=M*V

The Attempt at a Solution

Before: .2kg object traveling at -30m/s.
After: .2kg object traveling at 25m/s.

Yeah I'm lost. Not quite sure how to handle this.
How do I apply .5s?

Physics news on Phys.org
AnomalyCoder said:

Homework Statement

A tennis player returns a 30m/s serve back at 25 m/s after making contact with the ball for .5 seconds. If the ball has a mass of .20kg, what is the force exerted on the ball?

Homework Equations

I = Force[tex]\Delta[/tex]Time, or essentially the [tex]\Delta[/tex]Momentum = Impulse
P=M*V

The Attempt at a Solution

Before: .2kg object traveling at -30m/s.
After: .2kg object traveling at 25m/s.

Yeah I'm lost. Not quite sure how to handle this.
How do I apply .5s?
0.5 s = Δtime
What was the change in momentum?

Well, since momentum = mass * velocity...
The change in mass is none, since the ball doesn't change in terms of its mass?

Then if velocity = distance/time...
First it's -30m/s, goes to 25m/s...
-5m/s in velocity?

But that would mean the change in momentum is 0..
I think I messed up somewhere.

The difference between -30m/s and 25m/s is 55 m/s, not 5 m/s.

25m/s - (-30m/s) = 55 m/s.

Also, m·25m/s - m·(-30m/s) = m·55 m/s ≠ 0.

Usually m doesn't change.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation F = mΔv/Δt, where F is the force exerted on the ball, m is the mass of the ball, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the time taken for the change in velocity to occur. In this case, we know that m = 0.2kg, Δv = 25m/s - (-30m/s) = 55m/s, and Δt = 0.5s. Plugging these values into the equation, we get F = (0.2kg * 55m/s) / 0.5s = 22N. This means that the force exerted on the ball by the tennis player is 22 Newtons.

We can also use the concept of impulse to solve this problem. Impulse is defined as the change in momentum, or I = Δp. In this case, the change in momentum of the ball is given by Δp = mΔv = (0.2kg) * (55m/s) = 11kgm/s. Since impulse is also equal to the force multiplied by the time, we can set up the equation I = FΔt and solve for F. Plugging in the known values, we get 11kgm/s = F * 0.5s, which gives us F = (11kgm/s) / 0.5s = 22N.

Therefore, both methods give us the same result of 22N for the force exerted on the ball. This is a reasonable amount of force for a tennis player to exert on a ball during a serve.

Related to How Is Force Calculated in a Tennis Serve?

What is momentum?

Momentum is the quantity of motion an object has, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over a certain amount of time. It is calculated by multiplying the force acting on an object by the time in which it acts.

How are momentum and impulse related?

Momentum and impulse are related by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. This means that the more force applied to an object, the greater its change in momentum will be.

What are some real-world examples of momentum and impulse?

A common example of momentum and impulse can be seen in sports, such as when a baseball player hits a ball with a bat. The force exerted by the bat on the ball changes its momentum, causing it to accelerate and travel in a new direction.

How is the principle of conservation of momentum applied in momentum and impulse problems?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In momentum and impulse problems, this means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction must be equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This principle is often used to solve for unknown values in these types of problems.