Momentum at time t and at a time t+dt for a rocket

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of variable-mass motion and its derivations, specifically in the context of a rocket losing mass. The equation includes terms for external force, relative velocities, and mass and velocity changes over time. The question arises about the use of positive and negative values for mass in the equation and its relation to the Earth as an inertial reference frame. The conversation also includes visual representations of mass accretion and ablation for a rocket system.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Hello, my name is Marcos, I have a bachelor in advertising and public relations, and my hobby is maths and physics
The equation of variable-mass motion is written as ##\mathbf{F}_{ext}+\mathbf{v}_{rel}\dfrac{dm}{dt}=m\dfrac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt}##
There are different derivations for the equation:
Mass accretion:
1575939389252.png

Mass ablation/ejection:
1575939579538.png

The initial momentum of the system is ##\mathbf{p}_1=m\mathbf{v}##. Since the mainbody will be losing mass, ##dm## will be negative. At a time ##t+dt## the momentum is ##\mathbf{p}_2=(m+dm)(\mathbf{v}+d\mathbf{v})+\mathbf{u}(-dm)##. Why in the same equation ##dm## is first positive and at the end negative?.
Full text at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-mass_system
Thanks!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Since dm is negative, m+dm < m and -dm > 0. dm itself is negative, it does not change sign.

Since dm is the mass gained by the rocket (being negative means the rocket loses mass), the mass of the ejecta is -dm.

mcastillo356 said:
Why in the same equation ##dm## is first positive and at the end negative?.

It's not positive and negative in the same equation. ##dm## is whatever it is. Your question is really: "Why in the equation do we use ##+dm## in one place and ##-dm## in another? Or, why do we sometimes add ##dm## and sometimes subtract it?

To answer this, consider this equation, for example:

##a + b = (a + c) + (b - c)##

Thank you very much, Orodruin and Perok!. Question solved

Hello
The general equation of variable-mass motion is written as ##\mathbf{F}_{ext}+\mathbf{v}_{rel}\dfrac{dm}{dt}=m\dfrac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt}##, where ##\mathbf{F}_{ext}## is the net external force on the body, ##\mathbf{v}_{rel}## is the relative velocity of the escaping or incoming mass with respect to the center of mass of the body, and ##\mathbf{v}## is the velocity of the body
1576037359666.png

Noting that ##\mathbf{u}-\mathbf{v}## is the velocity of ##dm## relative to ##m##, simbolized as ##\mathbf{v}_{rel}##
The question is: velocity of ##dm## and ##m##, is relative to Earth?
Thanks!

It is relative to any inertial reference frame. The Earth is a good example, but any other inertial frame will do just as well too.

Hello!
Is the geogebra file I've attached the momentum for a rocket in motion at a time ##t## and at a time ##t+dt##?. I've done it inspired by
1576074794630.png

witch shows mass accretion for a variable-mass system.
Thanks!

Attachments

• geogebra-export.pdf
    2.5 KB · Views: 182
Thank you very much, Dale

Hello Orodruin
The pdf I attached drawing mass ablation for a variable-mass system like a rocket was not wright. I am student of spanish Uned, I am preparing a specific entrance exam to access maths degree. The image I've drawn is their advice. The system taken in account is the rocket and the fuel yet to burn. Thanks!
1576610090292.png

At time t it's m with velocity vector v, in the left; and in the right, at time t+dt, it's the rocket, with mass m-dm and velocity vector v+dv, and below, dm, with velocity vector u downwards, to preserve momentum

1. What is momentum and why is it important for a rocket?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In the case of a rocket, momentum is important because it determines the rocket's ability to overcome the force of gravity and continue moving forward. A higher momentum means the rocket can travel further and faster.

2. How does momentum change over time for a rocket?

Momentum can change over time for a rocket due to various factors such as changes in velocity or mass. For example, as a rocket burns fuel and decreases its mass, its momentum will also decrease. However, if the rocket's engines are firing and it is accelerating, its momentum will increase.

3. What is the difference between momentum at time t and at a time t+dt for a rocket?

Momentum at time t refers to the momentum of the rocket at a specific moment in time, whereas momentum at a time t+dt refers to the momentum of the rocket at a slightly later time. The difference between the two is the change in momentum that occurs during that time interval.

4. How is momentum related to the rocket's mass and velocity?

Momentum is directly proportional to both mass and velocity. This means that as the mass or velocity of a rocket increases, its momentum will also increase. This relationship is described by the equation p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

5. How does momentum affect the trajectory of a rocket?

Momentum plays a crucial role in determining the trajectory of a rocket. As the rocket moves through space, its momentum will continue to carry it forward in the same direction unless acted upon by an external force. This is why rockets are designed to carefully control their momentum through various stages of flight in order to achieve the desired trajectory and reach their destination.