Momentum Conservation in Special Relativity: mwu

In summary, momentum conservation in special relativity is a fundamental principle that states the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. This applies to all types of interactions, and in order for it to be conserved, the total mass and velocity of the system must remain constant. Unlike in classical mechanics, momentum in special relativity is defined as the product of an object's relativistic mass and its relativistic velocity. This has important implications in predicting the outcome of interactions between particles and plays a crucial role in theories such as the Standard Model and the study of high-energy collisions in particle accelerators.
Feynmanisthegoat
1606329308989.png
the vertical component of momentum in the (b) figure before the collision is ∆p = mwu. Can someone please explain why we take the mass in the world component and not the u component

Attachments

• 1606329267994.png
    1606329267994.png
    99 bytes · Views: 108
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see anything there.

Ya man I am sorry this is my first post so I don't know what went wrong but it's figure 16.4 from the Feynman lectures on physics.

Feynmanisthegoat said:
Ya man I am sorry this is my first post so I don't know what went wrong but it's figure 16.4 from the Feynman lectures on physics.
You're better to find some way to post it here.

What is momentum conservation in special relativity?

Momentum conservation in special relativity is a fundamental principle that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any internal changes or interactions within the system.

How does special relativity affect momentum conservation?

In special relativity, the concept of momentum is extended to include not only the mass and velocity of an object, but also its energy. This means that the total momentum of a system is conserved not just in terms of linear momentum, but also in terms of relativistic momentum.

Why is momentum conservation important in special relativity?

Momentum conservation is important in special relativity because it is a fundamental law of nature that helps us understand and predict the behavior of particles and systems at high speeds and energies. It also plays a crucial role in many important phenomena, such as particle collisions and nuclear reactions.

What are some examples of momentum conservation in special relativity?

One example is the decay of a particle into two or more particles, where the total momentum of the initial particle is conserved in the momenta of the resulting particles. Another example is the collision of two particles, where the total momentum of the system is conserved before and after the collision.

How is momentum conservation in special relativity different from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, momentum conservation only applies to closed systems at low speeds. In special relativity, momentum conservation applies to all systems, including those at high speeds and energies. Additionally, in special relativity, momentum is conserved in terms of both linear and relativistic momentum, whereas in classical mechanics, only linear momentum is conserved.