Momentum Entanglement: The Technicalities and Usage in Electron Experiments

In summary, the EPR paper introduced the concept of entanglement using momentum as an example. However, due to practical reasons, experiments on entangled momenta are difficult to design. This led to a focus on entangled particle spins and photon polarizations, which have the same mathematical principles of non-factorizability. As a result, experiments and discussions on entanglement tend to revolve around these two cases.
ftr
In the original EPR paper momentum was giving as an example of entanglement, but I don't see that discussed by any thread or papers for that matter, why is that. What is the technicalities of this entanglement for two electrons for example, is it also instantaneous and why is it not used to study entanglement in experiments. And how does that square with the momentum associated with the charge. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
arXiv:1501.01927
This paper seems to be exactly what you are asking about... although I haven't read it yet and I'm not sure if I can answer any questions you may have about it.

Likes ftr
jerromyjon said:
arXiv:1501.01927
This paper seems to be exactly what you are asking about... although I haven't read it yet and I'm not sure if I can answer any questions you may have about it.

Thanks. That is the first paper that I got when I googled, but i wanted some independent comments before I ask about this paper. so thanks again

Likes jerromyjon
ftr said:
n the original EPR paper momentum was giving as an example of entanglement, but I don't see that discussed by any thread or papers for that matter, why is that?
For various practical reasons it's difficult to design reliable experiments around entangled momenta, so the EPR paper had something of the feel of a thought experiment. After it was published, David Bohm pointed out that the EPR argument could just as well be applied to entangled particle spins, and it was clear that similar considerations also applied to entangled photon polarizations.

The basic mathematics are the same for all of these examples of entanglement; it comes down the wave function having the property we call "non-factorizability". It is easier and much less expensive to do experiments with photon polarization, so as long as it's the same math that we're checking either way, that's how we'll do most experiments and that's what gets the most press.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

Related to Momentum Entanglement: The Technicalities and Usage in Electron Experiments

1. What is momentum entanglement?

Momentum entanglement refers to the correlation of the momentum of two or more particles, such as electrons, in a quantum system. This means that the momenta of these particles are intertwined and cannot be described independently.

2. How is momentum entanglement measured in electron experiments?

In electron experiments, momentum entanglement is typically measured using techniques such as two-particle interference or quantum teleportation. These methods involve manipulating the particles in a way that allows for the measurement of their correlated momenta.

3. What are the technical challenges of using momentum entanglement in experiments?

One of the main technical challenges is maintaining the entanglement of the particles throughout the experiment. This requires precise control and isolation of the particles to prevent outside interference. Additionally, the measurement of momentum entanglement can be complex and requires advanced equipment and techniques.

4. What are the potential applications of momentum entanglement in quantum technology?

Momentum entanglement has the potential to be used in various quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum communication. It can also be utilized in precision measurements and sensing applications where correlated momenta can provide more accurate results.

5. Are there any ethical concerns regarding the usage of momentum entanglement in experiments?

At this point, there are no known ethical concerns regarding the usage of momentum entanglement in experiments. However, as with any emerging technology, it is important to consider the potential implications and ensure responsible and ethical use.