Momentum in a Head-on collision

Rayan
Misplaced Homework Thread
An electron and muon collide head-on, with energies 35 GeV and 50 GeV, the following reaction takes place:

$$ e^- + \mu^+ \rightarrow \nu_e + \nu_{\vec{\mu}} $$If the electron neutrino has energy of 25 GeV, and collides at angle 20 with respect to incoming electron direction, what is the muon neutrinos momentum?

Now I calculated the center of mass frame energy, which happened to be 84 GeV, and I was thinking that I can use energy conservation to determine muon neutrinos energy:

E = 60 GeV

and then since neutrinos mass is very small it can be neglected, so E ~ pc and therefore p~E/c .

But why is the angle between electron and electron neutrino given? Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated the magnitude of the momentum. The momentum is a vector and you should find its direction.

It's interesting that the problem statement gives you more information than required to solve the problem. Just giving the angle or the energy would be sufficient.

Likes Rayan
mfb said:
You calculated the magnitude of the momentum. The momentum is a vector and you should find its direction.

It's interesting that the problem statement gives you more information than required to solve the problem. Just giving the angle or the energy would be sufficient.
You are totally right! I did calculate the angle and got

$$\theta=10.8^{\circ}$$

with respect to the direction of incoming muon.

But I did indeed use the energy in my calculation! I can't really think of a way to determine the angle without using it?

1. What is momentum in a head-on collision?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In a head-on collision, momentum is the product of the mass and velocity of both objects involved in the collision.

2. How is momentum conserved in a head-on collision?

In a head-on collision, the total momentum of the system remains constant. This means that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

3. What factors affect the momentum in a head-on collision?

The momentum in a head-on collision is affected by the mass and velocity of the objects involved. The greater the mass and velocity, the greater the momentum.

4. How does the law of conservation of momentum apply to a head-on collision?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. In a head-on collision, the objects involved are considered a closed system and therefore, the total momentum remains constant.

5. How can momentum in a head-on collision be calculated?

Momentum in a head-on collision can be calculated by multiplying the mass and velocity of the objects involved. The equation for momentum is: p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.