Momentum operator acting to the left

In summary: Thus, if the momentum operator changes direction, the momentum operator's Hermitian conjugate also changes direction.
DuckAmuck
TL;DR Summary
Change direction of Operator
Is the following true if the momentum operator changes the direction in which it acts?
[tex] \langle \phi | p_\mu | \psi \rangle = -\langle \phi |\overleftarrow{p}_\mu| \psi \rangle [/tex]

My reasoning:
[tex] \langle \phi | p_\mu | \psi \rangle = -i\hbar \langle \phi | \partial_\mu | \psi \rangle[/tex]
[tex]\langle \phi | \partial_\mu | \psi \rangle = \int \phi^\dagger \partial_\mu \psi dx = \phi^\dagger \psi |_\text{bound} - \int \psi \partial_\mu \phi^\dagger dx [/tex]
[tex] = - \int \psi \partial_\mu \phi^\dagger dx = - \langle \phi | \overleftarrow{\partial_\mu} |\psi \rangle [/tex]

is this correct? if not, why?

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
What you say seems same as
[tex]p_{\mu} ^\dagger = i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}=-p_{\mu}[/tex]
where ##\dagger## means Hermitian conjugate.

Last edited:
Likes atyy
You are mixing up different notions of the momentum operator, and that's usually doomed to fail.

On the level you wrote the question, you work in the Dirac formalism not specifying a "representation", i.e., you work in a basis free way. It's very confusing when you introduce operators to act to the left.

By definition all operators that represent observables are self-adjoint operators and thus you have for any vectors ##|\phi \rangle## and ##|\psi \rangle##
$$\langle \phi|\hat{p}_j \psi \rangle = \langle \hat{p}_j \phi|\psi \rangle.$$
Here the operators always act to the right.

Now you can introduce a basis and write the operators wrt. this basis. If you choose the (generalized) position eigenbasis you deal with position-space wave functions, ##\psi(\vec{x})=\langle \vec{x} |\psi \rangle## and all you need is the completeness relation
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x |\vec{x} \rangle \langle \vec{x}|=\hat{1}.$$
Then from the Heisenberg algebra,
$$[\hat{x}_j,\hat{x}_k]=[\hat{p}_j,\hat{p}_k]=0, \quad [\hat{x}_j,\hat{p}_k]=\mathrm{i} \hbar \delta_{jk} \hat{1},$$
you get
$$\hat{p}_j \psi(\vec{x}):=\langle \vec{x}|\hat{p} \psi \rangle=-\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_j \langle \vec{x}|\psi \rangle = -\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_j \psi(\vec{x}).$$
The scalar product reads
$$\langle \phi|\psi \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x \langle \phi|\vec{x} \rangle \langle \vec{x}|\psi \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x \phi^*(\vec{x}) \psi(\vec{x}).$$
Then the self-adjointness is easy to show using the momentum operator in position-space representation,
$$\langle \phi|\hat{p}_j \psi \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x \phi^*(\vec{x}) (-\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_j \psi(\vec{x}) = \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x [-\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_j \phi(\vec{x})]^* \psi(\vec{x}),$$
which you prove by integration by parts.

Likes atyy, sysprog and etotheipi
anuttarasammyak said:
What you say seems same as
[tex]p_{\mu} ^\dagger = i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}=-p_{\mu}[/tex]
where ##\dagger## means Hermitian conjugate.
Right. I get that but I’m not sure where I go wrong here.

Have you understood what I wrote above?

DuckAmuck said:
Right. I get that but I’m not sure where I go wrong here.

[tex](<\psi_2|p|\psi_1>)^\dagger=<\psi_1|p^\dagger|\psi_2>[/tex]
so
[tex]-i\hbar \int \psi_2^*(x)\frac{\partial \psi_1(x)}{\partial x} dx=<\psi_2|p|\psi_1>=(<\psi_1|p^\dagger|\psi_2>)^\dagger=(i\hbar \int \psi_1^*(x)\frac{\partial \psi_2(x)}{\partial x} dx)^*=-i\hbar \int \psi_1(x)\frac{\partial \psi_2^*(x)}{\partial x} dx[/tex]
The rightest side is the way operator works on the original left neighbor as you say ##\leftarrow##.

Last edited:
DuckAmuck said:
Summary:: Change direction of Operator

Is the following true if the momentum operator changes the direction in which it acts?

As pointed out by @anuttarasammyak and @vanhees71 above, it is better to rephrase your question as asking about the Hermitian conjugate of the momentum operator: https://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node133.html

The Hermitian conjugate of the derivative operator is negative of itself, while the Hermitian conjugate of the momentum operator is itself: https://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node144.html#example:Hconj2

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the momentum operator acting to the left?

The momentum operator acting to the left is a mathematical representation of the momentum of a particle in quantum mechanics. It is denoted by the symbol p̂L and is used to describe the momentum of a particle moving in the negative direction along a given axis.

2. How is the momentum operator acting to the left defined?

The momentum operator acting to the left is defined as the negative derivative of the wave function with respect to the position variable x. In mathematical terms, it can be expressed as p̂L = -iħ(d/dx).

3. What is the significance of the momentum operator acting to the left in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator acting to the left is one of the fundamental operators in quantum mechanics. It plays a crucial role in determining the momentum of a particle and is used to calculate the uncertainty in the momentum measurement of a particle.

4. How does the momentum operator acting to the left affect the wave function of a particle?

The momentum operator acting to the left acts on the wave function of a particle to produce a new wave function, which represents the momentum state of the particle. This new wave function is a complex-valued function that describes the probability amplitude of the particle having a certain momentum.

5. Can the momentum operator acting to the left be used to describe the momentum of a particle in any direction?

No, the momentum operator acting to the left can only describe the momentum of a particle moving in the negative direction along a given axis. To describe the momentum of a particle in any direction, we need to use the momentum operator in three dimensions, which takes into account all three spatial dimensions.