Momentum Problem of a Projectile

In summary, a 224 kg projectile is fired at 116 m/s at a 60 degree angle, exploding into three fragments at its highest point. Two fragments move vertically downward with the same speed, while the third fragment moves horizontally. To find the velocity of the third fragment, we use the equation Initial Momentum = Final Momentum. We find the x component of the initial momentum to be 12,992 kg m/s. Since only one fragment has a horizontal velocity, we set this equal to 1/3 of the total final momentum. This is why we divide the initial momentum by 3 and add the x component of the velocity (58 m/s) to 1/3 of the mass (224 kg). This gives us
Libohove90

Homework Statement

A 224 kg projectile is fired at 116 m/s at a 60 degree angle. At its highest point, it explodes into three fragments. Two fragments have the same speed and move vertically downward. The other fragment moves horizontally. a) what is the velocity of the third fragment right after the explosion?

Homework Equations

Initial Momentum = Final Momentum
Momentum equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find the x component of the velocity, thus I do 116*cos 60 = 58 m/s

The initial momentum is 224 kg * 58 m/s = 12,992 kg m/s. Since the initial momentum = final momentum, I look at the x component of the momentum.

12,992 kg m/s = 1/3 (224 kg) V
^Only one fragment has a horizontal velocity. I get confused because everywhere else I look, the way to solve this is 12,992 kg m/s = 1/3 (224 kg)(58 m/s) + 1/3 (224 kg) V

I got lost at that point. Why does the initial momentum = 1/3 (224 kg)(58 m/s) + 1/3 (224 kg) V?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how the 58 m/s is still in the equation. I am also confused about the mass, why did we divide by 3? I thought it was because there are three fragments and 2/3 of them have the same speed.

Related to Momentum Problem of a Projectile

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity.

How is momentum related to a projectile?

A projectile is an object that is launched into the air and follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity. The momentum of a projectile is important because it determines how far it will travel and how much force it will have when it hits a target.

What is the momentum problem of a projectile?

The momentum problem of a projectile is a physics concept that involves calculating the momentum of a projectile at various points along its trajectory. This can be used to determine the projectile's final velocity and to predict its impact on a target.

How do you calculate the momentum of a projectile?

The momentum of a projectile can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. The mass can be measured in kilograms and the velocity in meters per second.

What factors affect the momentum of a projectile?

The momentum of a projectile is affected by its mass, its velocity, and any external forces acting upon it, such as air resistance or gravity. The angle at which the projectile is launched can also affect its momentum.