Momentum: throwing boot while on ice

In summary: So, after taking the derivative of both sides with respect to time: v = v0 + (0.3 m/s)t + (2.0 m/s)2t^2 = (0.9 m/s)t + (5.6 m/s)4t^4
akgtdoskce

Homework Statement

A 100 kg man sitting on a frozen lake throws a 1.5 kg boot horizontally with a speed of 20 m/s. He is 5m from the shore and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.0009. How long does it take for him to reach the shore?

Homework Equations

∑ F = m*a
v2 = v02 + 2a(x − x0)
v = v0 + at
p=mv
F̅ Δt = m Δv

The Attempt at a Solution

The one part I'm really having a problem with is finding the force. I planned on using p=mv to find initial velocity of the man (0.3 m/s), then ∑ F = m*a to find acceleration, v2 = v02 + 2a(x − x0) to find final velocity, and v = v0 + at to find time. However because I'm not clear on how to calculate the force, I'm not able to solve for the other variables. I do believe my teacher mentioned the only force is of friction (mg*µ=.882N) but is it correct to make the assumptions that make this true? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
akgtdoskce said:

Homework Statement

A 100 kg man sitting on a frozen lake throws a 1.5 kg boot horizontally with a speed of 20 m/s. He is 5m from the shore and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.0009. How long does it take for him to reach the shore?

Homework Equations

∑ F = m*a
v2 = v02 + 2a(x − x0)
v = v0 + at
p=mv
F̅ Δt = m Δv

The Attempt at a Solution

The one part I'm really having a problem with is finding the force. I planned on using p=mv to find initial velocity of the man (0.3 m/s), then ∑ F = m*a to find acceleration, v2 = v02 + 2a(x − x0) to find final velocity, and v = v0 + at to find time. However because I'm not clear on how to calculate the force, I'm not able to solve for the other variables. I do believe my teacher mentioned the only force is of friction (mg*µ=.882N) but is it correct to make the assumptions that make this true? Thank you!
Your teacher is correct. Once the boot is thrown the only force acting on the man (horizontally) is the friction force between him and the ice.

The initial velocity with which he begins his slide is due to the recoil from his throwing the boot. That's where conservation of momentum comes in. No dealing with forces is required there: momentum is conserved no matter what, every time.

akgtdoskce said:
v2 = v02 + 2a(x − x0) to find final velocity, and v = v0 + at to find time
You can get there a little more directly using ##s = v_0 t + \frac 12 at^2##.

Likes akgtdoskce

Related to Momentum: throwing boot while on ice

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, specifically its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How do you calculate momentum?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is: p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

What happens to momentum when an object is thrown on ice?

When an object is thrown on ice, its momentum will remain constant if there are no external forces acting on it. However, the object's velocity may change due to the friction of the ice.

Why does throwing a boot while on ice cause you to move in the opposite direction?

This is due to Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. When you throw the boot, there is an action force in one direction, causing an equal and opposite reaction force in the opposite direction, resulting in your movement.

How does momentum affect your movement on ice?

Momentum is a key factor in determining an object's movement on ice. The greater the momentum, the more difficult it is to change the object's direction or speed. This is why throwing a boot while on ice can cause a noticeable change in your movement.