Monitoring a CSV file that is continuously updated

• Python
  • Thread starter hilbert2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Csv File
In summary, the bash script monitors the last row of a CSV file and makes a warning sound if the value in the last column exceeds a certain limit.
hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Trying to produce a Python script that follows sudden changes in a CSV file updated in real time.
Suppose some program writes its output into a CSV table and is adding new rows to it all the time. How would I write a Python or Bash script that monitors the last element of the last row of this CSV file in real time and makes a warning sound if it exceeds some limiting value? This would be used to notice if the result of some numerical calculation diverges, or if my RTL-SDR radio dongle notices that a measurable radio signal appears at a particular frequency.

Technology news on Phys.org
I think that you would have timing issues trying to assure one program always sees the exact last line written by a different program. Have you looked into a protobuf architecture? It's a bit complex if you haven't worked with it before but works well in these situations.

https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/pythontutorial

Stack has an example of a file being read while it is being written. Some OS platforms may not allow this so its likely not portable.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60655818/read-from-file-while-it-is-being-written-to-in-python

It's basically a pipeline which is common in Linux file processing:

program-a | program-b | program-c

The output of program-a is passed as stdin input to program-b and program-b's stdout is passed to program-c.

Likes jack action
Thanks for the tips. I just succeeded in writing a messy Unix bash script that does what I intended, and I will also attempt to do this with protobuf and Python.

The .sh file contains

Code:
#!/bin/ksh

while [ 1 == 1 ]
do
 line=$(tail -n 1 log.csv)
 count=`echo $line | awk -F, {'print NF'}`
 i=9
 str=`echo $line | cut -d, -f${i}`
 echo $str;
 if [ $str \> -5 ]
 then
    echo -ne '\007'
 fi
 sleep 1;
done

and it assumes that the last column is the 9:th one. The command "echo -ne '\007'" produces a beep sound from the computer, and this is done when the value of the last numerical element in the CSV exceeds -5.

Likes Borg
Protobuf means you're using messages passed between programs not files being written. Protobuf is a good agnostic way of sending data as a message from a program based on one language say Java to another program based on say python. The protobuf message bindings will insure the data is passed correctly.

Here's a brief tutorial on Google protocol buffers (aka protobuf) that describes it better with pros and cons and some examples:

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/protobuf/protobuf_quick_guide.htm

ZeroMQ performs a similar interprogram communication function and you can read about it here:

https://zeromq.org/

In general, message passing via Protobuf or ZeroMQ is a better choice than using file writing/reading where buffering and parallel processing might wreak havoc on your implementation.

How about reading the file size to see if it has changed?
Or the last Write Time?

Depending on which Operating System, they may not be updated until the file is closed though.

I know SOMETHING is possible in Windows because I use an Editor (Textpad) that each time it re-gains focus, it notifies if an open file has been updated.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes jedishrfu
Often file data isn't updated until the buffer is flushed by the writing program.

As others have mentioned there are better ways of communicating between programs than writing to the filesystem, but if that is all you have and you are on Linux then you probably want to use inotify.

jedishrfu said:
Often file data isn't updated until the buffer is flushed by the writing program.
And sometimes not even then - the disk reports an update but the data is still in the buffer. Written sometimes means "actually written" and sometimes means "intended to be written when we get around to it."

Likes jedishrfu
I used that Linux .sh code to monitor the output of the rtl_power application and to make an alarm sound when it notices a radio signal stronger than background noise at some particular frequency. When I set that to follow the 80-81 MHz frequency band that local taxis around here use for radio communication, it seemed to notice when a taxi was parked in the front of the building. The bash script needed to be modified to convert the decibel radio intensities to positive integers so that they could more easily be compared to some treshold value. Didn't seem to run into problems with trying to read an output file where the last row is incompletely written.

1. How do you monitor a CSV file that is continuously updated?

There are several ways to monitor a CSV file that is continuously updated. One option is to use a monitoring software or tool that allows you to set up alerts for changes in the file. Another option is to use a scripting language like Python to constantly check for updates and send notifications when changes are detected.

2. What is the best way to track changes in a continuously updated CSV file?

The best way to track changes in a continuously updated CSV file is to use a version control system, such as Git. This allows you to easily track changes and revert back to previous versions if needed.

3. Can you automate the monitoring of a continuously updated CSV file?

Yes, it is possible to automate the monitoring of a continuously updated CSV file. This can be done through scripting or using a monitoring tool that allows for automation of tasks.

4. How can I receive notifications when a change occurs in the CSV file?

You can receive notifications when a change occurs in the CSV file by setting up alerts in a monitoring tool or using a scripting language to send notifications when changes are detected.

5. Is it possible to monitor multiple CSV files that are continuously updated?

Yes, it is possible to monitor multiple CSV files that are continuously updated. This can be done by using a monitoring tool that supports multiple files or by creating a script to monitor each file individually.