Monitoring Voltage of Batteries w/ ADC0834 - Help Needed!

In summary, a hobbyist is seeking help from experts in electrical engineering on how to automate the process of monitoring voltage changes in batteries using a microcontroller and an ADC. They are using a Parallax bs2px and an ADC0834, but are unsure about how to monitor the batteries without putting too much current through the ADC. One expert suggests using a 5:1 voltage divider and provides a circuit diagram for the setup. Another expert recommends using at least a 10 bit ADC for better precision and smoother results. The hobbyist expresses their gratitude for the assistance.
TxAggie00
Hello all!

I do not pretend to have any knowledge of electrical engineering, just enough to get myself in trouble and blow up some transistors. That being said, I have a question for the experts.

My recent hobby project requires my computer software (my area of expertise) to interface with a microcontroller. What I am trying to do is plot the voltage change in batteries as they are being charged and discharged. Sitting there with my fluke for 6 hours doesn't intrigue me, so I am trying to "automate" the process. The charger has an output rating of up to 24V and 1.5 amps. I am using a Parallax bs2px for the microcontroller and an ADC0834 4-channel ADC for voltage sensing. How can I monitor the batteries with that ADC and not put too much current through it? Do I need to isolate that part of the circuit? If so, how? I have read through the datasheet for the http://www.national.com/mpf/DC/ADC0804.html#Overview" , but it might as well be written in latin. I do know that I am going to need a 5:1 voltage divider, because my Vref is 5V.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That link was for a different ADC. However, I have used the ADC0834 and wouldn't recommend it.
It is a serial device, so you have to read off each of the 8 bits by sending pulses to it. Yukk!

If your battery charger does 24 volt batteries, you need the ADC to cover up to 30 volts to allow for fully charged batteries being about 29 volts.

To do this, get two 100 K resistors and put them in parallel. Wire this combination from the charger to a 10 K resistor to ground.
Then take the voltage at the junction of the two 100 K resistors and the 10 K resistor to your ADC converter.

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/voltage%20divider.PNG

So, suppose you had 30 volts at the input of this voltage divider.
Then the output would be 10/60 times 30 V or 5 volts.
Lower input voltages will give less than 5 volts.

You might like to take this question to the Programming and Computer Sci part of this Forum:
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165
to see if someone can suggest a better way of doing the A to D conversion.

I use Picaxe chips for everything, but I haven't had much luck getting converts to that system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply!

From what I have seen and experimented with using the ADC0834, I would have to agree with you. I will probably move to at least a 12 bit ADC. I have all the programming done and am successful taking measurements using the 5V on the board and a 10K pot to adjust the voltage going into the ADC, but what I am unsure of, is how the ADC being in parallel with the charger and battery will affect the charging of the battery if at all. I want to have as little of an impact as possible. Also, the batteries are 18V, so I probably won't see voltages over 24.

Thanks for the circuit diagram. I will breadboard that out and see how it works.

Thanks,
Scott

The circuit I suggested would draw only 0.5 mA from the battery charger, so it is not a problem. (ie 30 Volts / 60000 ohms = 0.5 mA). You can get 1% precision resistors for a few cents more, so get those if you can.

One thing worth considering is the open circuit voltage of the battery charger. If this goes to 40 volts when the battery is disconnected, you need to allow for this and make sure your ADC is protected.

I'd suggest at least a 10 bit A to D. This is because you need to read the voltage in a small area of the total range (maybe 14 volts to 18 volts) and you need good precision to do this.

If the range was 0 to 30 volts then each bit change would represent 0.029 volts on a 10 bit A to D while it would represent 0.117 volts on an 8 bit A to D. This is a worthwhile improvement.
It will give much smoother curves if you are graphing the results.

Perfect! Thanks so much for your assistance!

Thanks,
Scott

vk6kro said:
The circuit I suggested would draw only 0.5 mA from the battery charger, so it is not a problem. (ie 30 Volts / 60000 ohms = 0.5 mA). You can get 1% precision resistors for a few cents more, so get those if you can.

One thing worth considering is the open circuit voltage of the battery charger. If this goes to 40 volts when the battery is disconnected, you need to allow for this and make sure your ADC is protected.

I'd suggest at least a 10 bit A to D. This is because you need to read the voltage in a small area of the total range (maybe 14 volts to 18 volts) and you need good precision to do this.

If the range was 0 to 30 volts then each bit change would represent 0.029 volts on a 10 bit A to D while it would represent 0.117 volts on an 8 bit A to D. This is a worthwhile improvement.
It will give much smoother curves if you are graphing the results.

1. What is the purpose of monitoring voltage of batteries?

The purpose of monitoring voltage of batteries is to track the health and performance of the batteries. By monitoring the voltage, we can determine if the batteries are fully charged, depleted, or experiencing any issues that may affect their functionality.

2. How does the ADC0834 help in monitoring battery voltage?

The ADC0834 is an analog-to-digital converter that converts the analog voltage readings from the batteries into digital values that can be read and interpreted by a microcontroller or computer. This allows for more precise and accurate voltage measurements of the batteries.

3. What is the recommended sampling rate for monitoring battery voltage with the ADC0834?

The recommended sampling rate for monitoring battery voltage with the ADC0834 is at least twice the frequency of the highest voltage fluctuation expected. This ensures that the voltage readings are captured accurately and any changes in voltage are not missed.

4. Can the ADC0834 monitor multiple batteries at once?

Yes, the ADC0834 can monitor multiple batteries at once by connecting each battery to a different input channel on the ADC. However, it is important to ensure that the voltage readings are not affected by the connections and that the ADC can handle the total voltage range of all the batteries being monitored.

5. Are there any precautions to take when using the ADC0834 for battery voltage monitoring?

Yes, there are a few precautions to take when using the ADC0834 for battery voltage monitoring. It is important to properly calibrate the ADC to ensure accurate readings, avoid overloading the inputs with high voltages, and protect the ADC from external noise or interference that may affect the readings.