Monkey walks upright after near death experience

In summary, a monkey at an Israeli zoo named Natasha began walking exclusively on her hind legs after a near death experience due to a stomach ailment. Zookeepers speculate that it may be due to her knowing sign language and experiencing a bright light filled with other spirit monkeys at the end of a dark tunnel. Some suggest that humans may have started walking on two legs due to a similar experience. Others joke that her great posture is due to not using computers. However, it is believed that her behavior may be due to acid reflux disease and can be treated with medication.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I didn't know if I should post this is S&D, Biology, or Philosophy, so, since I couldn't resist the title, here we go for fun.

JERUSALEM - A young monkey at an Israeli zoo has started walking on its hind legs only — aping humans — after a near death experience, the zoo's veterinarian said Wednesday.

Natasha, a 5-year-old black macaque at the Safari Park near Tel Aviv, began walking exclusively on her hind legs after a stomach ailment nearly killed her, zookeepers said. [continued]

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5479501/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
must be that damn evolution thing again ...

Maybe she gets heartburn when walking on all fours :tongue2:

Hmm monkey buisiness.

Have we by accident discovered why humans started to walk as we do today? :surprise: :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
...since Natasha knows sign language, when asked to draw what she saw, she drew a bright light filled with other spirit monkeys at the end of a long dark tunnel...
:rofl: :rofl:

Wow, she has great posture, better than some humans!

That's because monkeys don't use computers :rofl:

Monique said:
That's because monkeys don't use computers :rofl:

hehehe... so true :biggrin:

hey, posture is reletive!

Monique said:
Maybe she gets heartburn when walking on all fours :tongue2:

Yeah, it's just acid reflux disease. Give her some Pepcid AC, and she'll be dragging her knuckles around again in no time. :rofl:

Tom Mattson said:
Yeah, it's just acid reflux disease. Give her some Pepcid AC, and she'll be dragging her knuckles around again in no time. :rofl:

That always does it for me. I'll take knuckle dragging over reflux any day.

Last edited:
That's not to say that I would drag my knuckles over reflux. I didn't mean to give that impression.

1. What is the significance of a monkey walking upright after a near death experience?

The significance of a monkey walking upright after a near death experience is that it suggests that the monkey's brain has undergone some form of change or adaptation. It may also indicate a potential for increased cognitive abilities or problem-solving skills.

2. How common is it for monkeys to walk upright?

Monkeys typically do not walk upright as their primary form of movement. However, some species of monkeys, such as baboons, are known to occasionally walk on two legs for short distances.

3. Can monkeys learn to walk upright on their own?

It is possible for monkeys to learn to walk upright on their own, but it is not a natural behavior for them. Most likely, if a monkey is seen walking upright, it is due to some form of external influence or adaptation.

4. Is there any scientific evidence to support monkeys walking upright after a near death experience?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that monkeys can walk upright after a near death experience. More research would need to be conducted to determine the validity of this claim.

5. What other behaviors have been observed in animals after a near death experience?

Animals have been observed exhibiting a range of behaviors after a near death experience, including increased aggression, changes in social behavior, and heightened senses. However, further research is needed to fully understand the effects of near death experiences on animal behavior.

Back