Moonlight Reflection on the Sea

• Thread starter oyuncu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflection
In summary, the width and height of the moon's reflection on the sea are affected by various factors such as wave height, viewing angle, and the angle of the moon. When the moon is high, the reflection appears wider due to the light bouncing off the sloped surfaces of the waves. When the moon is low, the reflection appears narrower due to the light bouncing off the almost horizontal surfaces of the waves. The difference in reflection between Case 1 and Case 2 may be due to the varying sizes of waves in the sea.
oyuncu
Hello..

I just registered to ask this question which we were discussing with my friends for a while..

Why do you think the moonlight reflection on the sea is wider on the horizon once the moon is on the top, and the reflection goes narrower when the moon moves towards the horizon..?

We also have seen that the reflection is longer towards us (viewing point) when the moon is closer to the horizon but it starts from far away when the moon is on the top..

I was expecting to see the reflection in the same width with the moon's view..

I'm really curious about the reasons behind this and I'm eager to read about reflections/moonlight if there are any sites or documents about it..

Thank you so much..!

Science news on Phys.org
First thing we need to determine is: is it true under general conditions, as opposed to in this weather condition or that?

The height and width of the reflection are highly dependent on the wave height at that time.

I think oyuncu's observation is right. I have similar impression: on still weather, if you look at Moon reflection frow high bridge or building, the reflections is smaller than if you look at it sitting in a rowing boat. Or - rather - reflection observed from the boat seems bigger than Moon itself.
My ad hoc theory (Disclaimer: they often are quite wrong!) is that it is related to low waves, moving the moon reflection here and there, while from large distance the reflection is still.

Last edited:
Ad hoc explanation no.2:

In contradiction to optics laws learned at school, we see the Moon reflection not infinitely deep in the lake, but just as a pancake floating in the water. If we are are sitting in a boat, we see the reflection so close, that it becomes a part of our psychological proximity. Such objects appear to be bigger than distant ones of the same angular size.

xts said:
I think oyuncu's observation is right. I have similar impression: on still weather, if you look at Moon reflection frow high bridge or building, the reflections is smaller than if you look at it sitting in a rowing boat. Or - rather - reflection observed from the boat seems bigger than Moon itself.
My ad hoc theory (Disclaimer: they often are quite wrong!) is that it is related to low waves, moving the moon reflection here and there, while from large distance the reflection is still.
Yes, this is one I was going to elaborate on. When both you and the Moon are near the lake surface, there is a very large angle of reflection (almost 180 degrees). Every little wavelet between you and the horizon has at least part of a surface that's the right angle to reflect a piece of the Moon. Every wave has a component that is horizontal (its crest and its trough).

But if the you and/or the Moon are higher above the water surface, many of the near and far waves will fall outside a zone where a part of their surface reflect from Moon to eye.
Only the roughest waves will have a component that is canted at a high angle.

Thanks for the answers..
I want to explain my question with two images..

Case 1

moonlightreflection1.png

Case 2

moonlightreflection2.png

Weather conditions and the viewing spot are the same in both cases..
Reflection in Case 2 seems somewhat meaningful to me but i don't understand Case 1..

oyuncu said:
Thanks for the answers..
I want to explain my question with two images..

Case 1

moonlightreflection1.png
Case 2

moonlightreflection2.png
Weather conditions and the viewing spot are the same in both cases..
Reflection in Case 2 seems somewhat meaningful to me but i don't understand Case 1..

The near reflection in Case 1 could be a flat water surface near the beach. In general the reflection pattern depends on the shape of the waves:

- When the moon is high you see its reflection the surfaces that are sloped towards you. Since the waves have slopes in all directions, you see the light coming from a wide range of directions -> wide reflection

- When the moon is low you see its reflection in the surfaces that are almost horizontal. Being horizontal, they cannot reflect the light sideways, so you don't see reflection at the sides. When you consider the shape of a wave, you will not find a surface that can reflect at large vertical angle(180°), but small horizontal angle. -> narrow reflection

A.T. said:
The near reflection in Case 1 could be a flat water surface near the beach. In general the reflection pattern depends on the shape of the waves:

- When the moon is high you see its reflection the surfaces that are sloped towards you. Since the waves have slopes in all directions, you see the light coming from a wide range of directions -> wide reflection

- When the moon is low you see its reflection in the surfaces that are almost horizontal. Being horizontal, they cannot reflect the light sideways, so you don't see reflection at the sides. When you consider the shape of a wave, you will not find a surface that can reflect at large vertical angle(180°), but small horizontal angle. -> narrow reflection

Do you mean i would observe exactly the same reflection in both cases if the surface was a still lake instead of a sea..?

oyuncu said:
Do you mean i would observe exactly the same reflection in both cases if the surface was a still lake instead of a sea..?

No, on a perfectly still surface you would see the moon directly, like in a mirror. I just meant that the split in the reflection shown in Case 1 might be due to different wave sizes.

A.T. said:
No, on a perfectly still surface you would see the moon directly, like in a mirror. I just meant that the split in the reflection shown in Case 1 might be due to different wave sizes.

Yes. I suspected that too. A calm sea with slight waves would explain the far reflection. Those same slight waves rising and cresting as they enter the shallows of shore would explain the near reflection.

oyuncu said:
Thanks for the answers..

Case 1

moonlightreflection1.png

Hang on. There's something funny here.

If the Moon is that height above the horizon, an ideal reflection would appear the same height below the horizon.

In order for the water near the horizon to reflect a moon that high in the sky, you'd have to be seeing reflections off the nearside slopes of some pretty highish waves.

DaveC426913 said:
If the Moon is that height above the horizon, an ideal reflection would appear the same height below the horizon.
Yes. So the 'ideal' reflection would locate somewhere in the sand. But closer you are to the 'ideal' reflection point, smaller waves are sufficient to make 'real' reflection, and stronger the reflection is. It makes a near-shore triangle.

There must be quite different mechanism for distant reflection. Maybe those are [I miss proper English word... falling, breaking, collapsing, splashy waves], collapsing few hundred metres off the shore, where deep water waves enter near-shore shallows?

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
moonlightreflection1.png

In order for the water near the horizon to reflect a moon that high in the sky, you'd have to be seeing reflections off the nearside slopes of some pretty highish waves.

The moon in the picture is roughly 3 degrees above the horizon. To reflect moonlight horizontally to the observer the water surface must be tilted 1.5 degrees. I would not call this "some pretty highish waves".

A.T. said:
The moon in the picture is roughly 3 degrees above the horizon
The drawing is not to the scale. This is a case of Moon high above the horizon.
The 2nd picture was for the Moon low - and there 'low waves' explanation seems to be fine.

xts said:
A.T. said:
moonlightreflection1.png

The moon in the picture is roughly 3 degrees above the horizon. To reflect moonlight horizontally to the observer the water surface must be tilted 1.5 degrees.

The drawing is not to the scale. This is a case of Moon high above the horizon.
What is "high above the horizon" for you? I made a picture that shows a similar pattern at about 6° above the horizon:

1zpkt42.jpg

If the moon was much higher (for example 30°), the reflection would be all over the water.

xts said:
'low waves' explanation seems to be fine.

The interruption in the reflection might be due to steeper wave slopes where the waves reach shallow water. Far away the waves are high, but have less slope. And near the beach they lost their energy and are low.

Last edited:
Thanks guys..
Waves explanation seems logical to me now..
My question is answered..

Related to Moonlight Reflection on the Sea

1. What causes the moonlight reflection on the sea?

The moonlight reflection on the sea is caused by the reflection of the moon's light off the surface of the water. As the moon's light hits the water, it is reflected and scattered in all directions, creating the beautiful shimmering effect we see.

2. Does the moon's phase affect the moonlight reflection on the sea?

Yes, the moon's phase does affect the moonlight reflection on the sea. During a full moon, more light is reflected off the moon's surface, resulting in a brighter and more intense moonlight reflection on the sea.

3. How does the angle of the moon's light affect the moonlight reflection on the sea?

The angle of the moon's light plays a significant role in the moonlight reflection on the sea. When the moon is directly overhead, the reflection appears as a straight line on the water's surface. But as the moon's angle changes, the reflection becomes more distorted and elongated.

4. Is the color of the moonlight reflection on the sea always the same?

No, the color of the moonlight reflection on the sea can vary depending on several factors such as atmospheric conditions, the angle of the moon's light, and the amount of light pollution. It can range from a bright white to a soft blue or even a warm golden hue.

5. Can the moonlight reflection on the sea be seen from anywhere on Earth?

Yes, the moonlight reflection on the sea can be seen from anywhere on Earth as long as there is a clear view of the moon and a body of water. However, the intensity and appearance of the reflection may vary depending on location and time of year.