More than one camera necessary for movement analysis?

In summary, Inseong Hwang found that by recording horizontal and vertical coordinates for the hip, knee, ankle, and metatarsophalangal joints of the kicking leg, he was able to quantify the net muscular torques acting about those joints. Rathee/Magnes/Davis found that by transferring Kinematic data into a computer and analyzing it through "Logger-pro" software, they were able to measure the Taekwondo movement performed by two Karate athletes.
makamo66
I found two martial arts papers that used just one camera to analyze movements and the rest of the papers that I viewed either used MOVEN sensors plus software or more than one camera plus triangularization. I would like to use just one camera in conjunction with Kinovea software but I don't know whether it will be accurate enough. These are the two papers that use just one camera:

1) Inseong Hwang 1987 Analysis of the kicking leg in taekwondo
He's a physical education student
LINK TO PDF: https://ojs.ub.uni-konstanz.de/cpa/article/view/1500

2) Rathee/Magnes/Davis 2014
They're two professors and a graduate research scholar
Kinematics of Board Breaking in Karate using Video Analysis
LINK TO PDF: https://eujournal.org/index.php/esj/article/view/3185

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither "movement analysis" nor "accurate enough" are defined in your question.

Likes berkeman
I guess it's not a simple question. The first experimenter Hwang used a DP-114 digitizer and IBM micro computer (IBM XI) to quantitatively analyze the films. The second experimenters used Logger Pro software. Therefore, I would have to look into these additional pieces of equipment to find out whether it's equivalent with experiments using more than one camera.

1) Hwang:
3 Taekwondo athletes were filmed while they performed the front kick with and without a target.
A motion analyzer which developed in Yonsei University by interfacing DP-114 digitizer and IBM micro computer (IBM XI) was used to quantitatively analyze the films. Horizontal (x) and vertical (y) coordinates were recorded for. the hip joint, knee joint, ankle joint and metatarsophalangal joint of the kicking leg. These coordinates were then smoothed using Second-Order L0I1-Pass Digital Filtering (Winter, 1979).
The net muscular torques acting about the hip, knee. and ankle joints were then calculated using Newtonian equations of motion. The required body segment parameters were estimated from data published by Dempster (1955).2) Rathee/Magnes/Davis:
2 Karate athletes were filmed by a high speed camera in the sagittal plane.
They punched at a wooden board held by their instructor Hanshi at the level between their central point and xiphoid processes which is the standard target area for a straight punch. The board was positioned to ensure that the fist would strike the target with the forearm parallel with the ground, and perpendicular to the camera angle. Kinematic data were then transferred into a computer and analyzed through "Logger-pro" software.

What specifically do you want to find out when you have finished?

Likes berkeman
I want to measure some taekwondo movement but I'm still reviewing the literature and waiting for inspiration.

makamo66 said:
I want to measure some taekwondo movement but I'm still reviewing the literature and waiting for inspiration.
That is a three dimensional movement, but what is exactly the number of dimensions you need to record?

If your camera has sufficient resolution, could you place several big mirrors behind / above target to provide perspective views ?? Think dance-salle's mirrored walls...

Yes, you would have to light and calibrate carefully, but you get synchronised, multi-angled views without worrying about time-stamps, latency etc etc.

( Why does Windows make it so hard to distinguish between multiple USB web-cams ?? )

Likes BillTre

1. Why is more than one camera necessary for movement analysis?

Using multiple cameras allows for a more comprehensive view of the subject's movements, providing a more accurate analysis. It also allows for different angles and perspectives to be captured, which can be useful for identifying specific movements or patterns.

2. How many cameras are typically used for movement analysis?

The number of cameras used for movement analysis can vary depending on the specific study or analysis being conducted. However, it is common to use at least two cameras to capture multiple angles of the subject's movements.

3. Can one camera be used for movement analysis?

While it is possible to use one camera for movement analysis, it may not provide as accurate or comprehensive results as using multiple cameras. Additionally, using only one camera may limit the range of movements that can be captured.

4. How are the cameras synchronized for movement analysis?

In order to accurately analyze movements, the cameras must be synchronized to capture the subject's movements at the same time. This can be done through various methods such as using a common timecode or using specialized software to synchronize the cameras.

5. Are there any limitations to using multiple cameras for movement analysis?

One limitation of using multiple cameras is the cost and equipment needed. It may also require more time and effort to set up and synchronize the cameras. Additionally, the placement of the cameras may also impact the accuracy of the analysis, as certain movements may be obstructed from view.